Best advice to give someone

Reaction score
One thing I learned about ponding is that everything appears more difficult than it is. I'll probably feel differently once something catastrophic happens. :LOL:

Check out the bog topic created by addy if you haven't already. The information on it is what I based my own bog on, and so far so good! Even if my bog only lasts a few years it was more than worth it. My pond has been so clear all year. I'd also recommend, if possible, learn everything you need to know now and through winter, so as soon as it warms up you can get out there and get it finished in time for the real nice weather to arrive!

and yes, I too would've liked to steal her tractor! :ROFLMAO:
Yes study and take notes all winter, that is what I did and I felt confident about what I was doing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
For me, having the pond designed with straight drop sides, as I wanted koi. I wish I'd known about bogs, as I'd like one, but am locked in with a stone patio.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For me, having the pond designed with straight drop sides, as I wanted koi. I wish I'd known about bogs, as I'd like one, but am locked in with a stone patio.

Have you seen the video series The Pond Digger posted about the patio pond with the bog filter? Just might be an option!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi IronAnne, I didn't get any good advice at all. The worse advice was from someone who gave me a 10" koi and a few 6 inch comets. He said not to put them in my 200 gallon pond the first day I built it, but if I run the pump for 24 hours it should be okay to put them in.

If I had to give anyone advice now I would say to put in only a tiny fraction of the fish you eventually want to have when you start out, and not to worry about algae and let the pond cycle naturally to reduce it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
One thing you could do in your favour would be to fit a bottom drain

Dave

Ok, I started looking at bottom filter's yesterday. I get the filter at the bottom, but I need to understand more about the plumbing? Where am I connecting it to, and how?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, I started looking at bottom filter's yesterday. I get the filter at the bottom, but I need to understand more about the plumbing? Where am I connecting it to, and how?
Do you mean filter, pump, or bottom drain? If it's a BD (bottom drain), there's lots of info on plumbing those, filters, pumps, etc. To me, it's a complicated set-up which requires an external pump, but is the best way to go for a cleaner pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your taking the water down then out from the bottom of the pond into a set external filter's.
These filters which you can either buy or make by using large blue chemical barrels which are quite cheap to buy. Thi whole setup is then powered by a pump that is again external and set just after the last filter (we have a total of four)
Each filter has a different job to do each in turn removing smaller and smaller bits of detritus until you get crystal clear water from the last filter in line. Last but not least you put in place after your external pump a UV-C which the cleaned water then passes through before returning that water into your pond.
This return you can set eitherc above ponds surface itself, or as we have it set "2ft bellow the waterline".

I Hope this helps you understand the bottom drain IronAnneKidd ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Yes, sorry, I meant bottom drain. I was thinking about what kind of pump or filter you'd use with this when I was typing. That's where bottom filter came from.

Ask a Question