Best way to remove fish from a semi large pond for cleaning?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Other than this

gg4350421.jpg

:D

I kid I kid!

In all seriousness, I need to get the little buggers out of there but not sure what the best way is without stressing them out. Anyone have any good tips?

My pond is 10x12x3.5

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only way I can even catch them in the deck pond (tiny little pond) is drain it down. mrsclem made a square of pvc with window screening, wish I knew where she had it posted. Send her a pm she catches to sell all of the time.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had to get a few fry out of one of my ponds to move them this spring
I have a large net and got most but it helped when my wife used a second net and we worked together and corralled them
It still took a while
And I still found one still hiding days later

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My hubby and I tried that to just get a few fry out for a friend, two hours later I had two fish..................we tried two nets, one net and food. If I wade in the pond the crazy fish come swarming that is my best chance, even then the net needs to be in the pond and one quick swoop ow no good.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Texmaster- Drain the pond down as far as possible. I have built boxes out of pvc pipe and covered all sides but one with netting. I lay it on the side with the opening in the water and herd the fish in and then tip it up. If you can find a way to block off part of your pond then the 2 person netting also works. One of my ponds is 2 levels so I drain it down to one level and then net. It helps to take everything (plants, pumps) out of the pond first. Good luck- let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try to gently with the net guie them towards a large benching bowl, then when its there just dip the bowl into the water and the fish will go into it .
If you have a sock net scoope them up from the bowl and put them into your holding tank the trick is not to stress them out if you dont have a sock net then use a normal net
Then when your finished its just a simple matter of reversing the process ;).

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
How big are the fish and what sort of cleaning do you plan on giving the pond?

None are massive. The biggest is about 6 inches going down to about 2-3 inches. I'm really doing it to get control of the algae and to move the lights around at the floor of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Reading all of your ideas I suppose I could theoretically keep 1-2 feet of water in the pond and still clean. Alage just got out of control and I wanted to rearrange the rocks so I thought it best the fish were removed but if you guys think its too stressful for the fish I suppose I could work around them.

I'm using an old washed out Jacuzzi for storage if I do remove them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you are just doing a light cleaning I would drain down part way and leave the fish in. Just don't over clean all the good stuff away. Your fish will snack on the alage.

Oh that wont be a problem! :D

I pulled out a ball of algae, I wish I was exaggerating was the size of a basketball.

I'm also going to remove the snail shells. from the bottom. Is this a bad sign that they are down there?

Since I wont be removing all the water if I go this route I can still run the bottom drain filter and air diffuser correct?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are the snail shells empty? Not sure about bottom drain filter but should be ok and keep the air running. If using city water be sure to treat for chlorine when refilling.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Are the snail shells empty? Not sure about bottom drain filter but should be ok and keep the air running. If using city water be sure to treat for chlorine when refilling.

Oh I will. I'm going to try and save as much water as possible in an old clean jacuzzi. Yes the shells are empty now. Not a fan I found them there. I thought the drain would drink them up.

Ask a Question