Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
T'Mann, I think he was more likely referring to the gravel falling into the pipe holes, rather getting sucked in. Be sure to turn the pipes so the holes are facing down. I agree, large than cat litter is needed, more water flow between it. That sounds more like road pack, or something that would compact down too tight.
I'm going to rebuild/enlarge my koi pond bog, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to put little bit larger rock (or maybe the pea gravel) in a layer of about 2-3" below the PVC line before adding the rest of the gravel. My thought is to have an area to push the water through, rather than laying the PVC on the liner, thus shooting the water toward the liner. I, too, put extra layer of liner under the PVC but wondering if a thin layer of gravel would maybe be even better?
Your thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me can't hurt ce, I ended up with some gravel below my pipes. My slits are facing down, extra liner below them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Question!!!!

So all 4 of my container bogs are 'full' or algae... String looking kind but I can't scoop it out with my hand, had to use the net.

My pond though, has no algae of that kind (only have some on the liner). It seems to only stay in the bogs.

Is this normal?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When my plants are first growing for the summer, the slower moving water areas do get a slimy type algae, ......sun, surface area, wet = algae. As the plants grow the algae goes away. It looks like string but falls apart when you try to take it out. I ignore it, the bees land on it to drink the frogs hide in it, it does not bother me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. The only thing is there is hardly any sun on my pond now, been like this for almost 2 weeks now. It's under 3 big trees. It's just curious as it's only in the bog and not in the pond. I let it be but scoop out near the outlet so not to block the water :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will go away, I just ignore it. In another few weeks it will be gone. Maybe yours is shade loving.
I am too busy to worry about something that the critters love.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Speaking of stuff in the bog. My pond is looking much cleaner, no green water at all. Can't see the bottom, but I can see down about 1-1/2 feet. What is weird, is there is crud on top of the pea gravel. I'm not sure where it came from. I would have expected this to be under the gravel, but not sitting on top. The water is clean above it, but if I stir the water, it mixes into it, so very light. Does anybody else have this stuff?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stuff settles out of the water over the gravel. You could do a shop vac cleaning job if you want. I get some of that in the slower flowing areas of the bog, tend to just ignore it. sort of like bottom of the pond muck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was thinking the shop vac, but it'll probably pull some stone out. As long as it's normal & doesn't start to smell, it can stay.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Or use your shop vac, put a piece of door screen or something like that over the opening, that will keep the gravel where it belongs. I tend to leave it alone, but that is just me. My bog is huge as the plants grow you don't even see the stuff on the gravel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have that too, over my string algae, so it looks kinda ugly but I think it'll be good fertilizer for the plants. I scoop some out to put in my garden but mostly just left it be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yesterday I noticed all my green slime algae in my container bogs are gone!! there's nothing to eat it and it just vanished... the rocks look clean too...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yesterday I noticed all my green slime algae in my container bogs are gone!! there's nothing to eat it and it just vanished... the rocks look clean too...
MAGIC! mine is gone too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b

My algae disaperaed quickly too. My pond water looked green and I got a heavy rain one day and the next day it was clean (no green). It's remained that way since. My plants are taking off to, so I'm guessing that's it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My temps went down to the 40's at night, and ponds have been crystal clear each day. When the temps go above 70 and sunny, I get floating algae in koi pond by late morning. I know once the lilies are growing better and shading the pond, there won't be any more of this. Just a forewarning for that to possibly happen. Everything clears up in time, just have to be patient. This year, temps see-sawing so much, algae is coming and going with the weather.

Ask a Question