Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a new pond and I was planning on using 3" pipe in my bog as it matches the returns from 2 S/G filters that gravity feed back to the pond via the bog. From my reading on this subject, it seems most people use 1.5 - 2".

Does anyone have any experience using larger diameter pipe, or should I restrict this back to 2"? Worried that the 3" pipe may not work as good at flowing through the entire pipe length.

Bog is roughly 2' x 30' and should flow around 4000 - 5000gph if that helps.

Thanks
Wayne

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think it would matter, we used two 25 feet long 2 inch pipes. We made less slits closer to the input of the water, more slits at the end of the pipes, now years later I don't think it would matter how you make your slits. Ours are from 10 inches apart to about 6 inches apart, no real measuring going on. Just hacked a pipe with a circular saw.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Addy.

Just wanted to say that you and your mammoth pond build was my inspiration for including a bog into my build. Must have read the entire thing at least two times over the last few months!

Regards
Wayne

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you like it, I spent a lot of time reading about bogs. I had them for my other ponds, but a lot smaller. They always worked fine for me and my ponds. This one was a bigger build and it has been expanded on quite a bit lol. Add this pond add that pond lol.

I hope it works well for you, ponds like plants. I saw a huge water treatment center down in Florida, the partially processed water was filtered by one huge pond that was filled with plants. Shallow, deep, trees, all sort of plants, I don't recall the gallons but it was in the millions gets filtered by the pond and plants. Herons loved it, they had a huge nesting area there, along with all sorts of other birds. .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey, @addy1, I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on this... My rushes in the bog are all doing great, Irises are doing ok, but this day lily I planted has never really grown since I planted it. It stayed green for awhile but compared to the lilies I took it from, its leaves are more of a yellow-green, and now its starting to turn yellow and brown. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this. I pulled a small one out and the root system is very good & I have to imagine there is more than enough in the bog to feed it now, since the other plants are doing good. I figured I'd talk to you and see if you have any idea why, or I might have to take it out and replant it in dirt in attempt to save it.
DSCN5728.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It might just be one that does not like feet wet. The ones i have stuck in the bog so far are doing great, but each plant has its own idea as to what is good for it, lol.

I do notice my bog lilies bloom quicker than the ground ones, but over all my orange maryland lilies bloom later than the neighborhood lilies, all the same type too. All about micro climates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hi all. I'm new here, and have enjoyed reading the posts. I've learned a ton while I've been lurking.

I currently have a small, like 4 foot in diameter pond. This fall I am going to make a bigger, something like 10ish x 20ish foot pond, and I would like to put in a bog. I have a few questions...

* what kind of porous rock are you talking about for the walls?
* what kind of pump are you using to get water from your pond to your bog?
* what kind of flow do you need for the bog?
* how do you get your hose from your pump in your pond into your bog?

Thanks in advance!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Porous rock, basically rock that is loosely stacked so water can pass through.
I use an external pump, lim dragon
Mine is around 6000 gph, slower flow is probably better, my bog is my only filter
I just plumbed the output of the pump into the bog.

Welcome to our group

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Addy1, I am re-reading this post and still wanting a bog and I have a few questions. I have the 1st tier done for my waterfall, (1 stack of concrete blocks). I like the look of just the 1 tier so I was considering turning it into a bog, similar to what Pecan and RobandAmy have I guess. My question is, I want good water flow into the pond, but can I still have that and a bog? I was under the impression that the water had to trickle out of a bog and I would like a bit more flow. I also worry, with no fish, will the plants get enough nutrients?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pump, around 5000 plus gph into my bog (pump rated at 6800 or so) , which is large The first summer of my pond and bog I had zero fish, the second summer around 20 or so, The plants did the same both years, grew.

Mine waterfalls back into the pond, a real nice constant water flow. There are areas along the bog wall where it overflows also.
Capturea.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We love our ponds and rocks.............................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
IronAnneKidd, if you would like to see a pic of the plumbing, post a response on here, and I can post pics of how I did the PVC for my bog. I learned how from Addy, and I think it's very similar to hers, if not exact, and I have the pics handy. :)

Ask a Question