DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The 1 1/2 bulkheads will limit your gravity flow system, think big

Reaction score
DrCase said:
The 1 1/2 bulkheads will limit your gravity flow system, think big

You're right. I did more thinking and it would be a total pain to clean it, even once a year. So I just ordered more 2" bulkheads to do this job and 3 more for extra barrel that I'm not planning to use yet. Now I just have to figure out a good way to drain it b/c it's in the basement and it's not near the basement drain. So I guess I'll use buckets. lol

I've come to my senses and won't cheap out on bulkheads (wanted to do DIY bulkheads)... Eleven 2" bulkheads at $13CDN a pop. It really adds up. Arrgh!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Hell, I paid $45 USD for my 2" bulkhead fitting. Can you plumb the drain from the 55 gallon bio filter to the basement drain? Just add your 2" ball, dump valve right there.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Hell, I paid $45 USD for my 2" bulkhead fitting. Can you plumb the drain from the 55 gallon bio filter to the basement drain? Just add your 2" ball, dump valve right there.

Damn! I thought $13CDN was $$$ and ordered 'em from the opposite end of the country (Vancouver).

The basement drain is almost at opposite end of the basement. I'm guessing 20-25 in plumbing to get there. It looks like I can plumb 2" pipe to get there and rip it down when i don't need it.

Now I'm having trouble sourcing 2" ball valves. HD and Rona only goes up to 1 1/2". I'll have to go to a real plumbing store or just buy it off the internet.

Well, as you know, they're $$$ too.

Reaction score
is a 55gal filter going to be too much for my 250 gal pond that I'm setting up? I already ordered a submersable filter that works up to 400 gallons btu it wanted the added benifits of the bio filter too, should I just scale it down? like a 25 gal bucket instead?

Reaction score
Damn, each dump valve setup will cost me around $55CDN ($13 bulkhead, $18 valve, $10 in plumbing, add taxes, shipping). That's the most $$$ part of my 55G barrel setup (doing 3 right now and 4th one if required in the future). At any rate, saving lots of $$$ going the DIY route.

Ordered 4 of those monsters.

Reaction score
It just adds up... I guess I'll be thankful once I start doing valve dumps that takes 45 seconds and not having to get my hands wet.

Luckily i scored on 4 free 55G blue barrels... I was expecting to pay $35 each.

Scrubby pads add up too. I bought 100 bags worth, $1 dollar each.

At the end, i'm confident this would out perform or equal any big commercial filters. I mean, they all hold bio balls and poly fill... difference is, mine are barrels.

Maybe one day i'll go for bio balls. Bigals's selling 'em for $260CDN for 50 gallons... much cheaper in the US too.. If I had US pricing, i won't even do scrubby pads.

Reaction score
ctrgojo said:
is a 55gal filter going to be too much for my 250 gal pond that I'm setting up? I already ordered a submersable filter that works up to 400 gallons btu it wanted the added benifits of the bio filter too, should I just scale it down? like a 25 gal bucket instead?

I'm sure an expert would chime in... if you have the space and it's cosmetically pleasing, i'd do it. Can never have enough filter. :)

Reaction score
My 2" bulkheads and 2" ball ball valves arrived today.

Due to mis-reading the description, it's only threaded one side (to the aquarium). Thankfully, I can glue a piece of 2" ABS pipe into the bulkhead and I'm in business again.

Reaction score
Fascinating and very impressive. You are serious inventors. And your understanding of the form and function is way beyond mine. I was just telling my neighbor this morning, who also has a small pond, how each time I delve a little deeper I realize how little I know. But, it's fun learning and experimenting too.

I want to rebuild our pond, especially the waterfall--may even go for it and expand the overall size a bit. For financial reasons I have to wait. But, planning can start and I can being to accumulate knowledge and parts.

Dr. Case--I'm going to re-read carefully, but on first read I don't understand the plumbing, particularly the venting and gravity flow. If I don't get it on the next re-reads, I know it's a lot to ask, but could you do a diagram and mail it to me. If you like coffee I could mail you a starbucks card for your time:icon_smile:

rw

fotos of current pond attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0076-GF1.jpg
    IMG_0076-GF1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 442
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have big question about 2" bulkheads on these barrels.

HOw do you tighten them down well? It's not creating a perfect seal.

It's beyond though to put on. I don't have a big enough monkey wrench. I need to buy a super size monkey wrench (impossible to tighten by hand or with improvised device such as clamps). It makes it even more impossible that the other part would spin. I'll need to improvise that too.

But right now, i can't tighten enough. There is still a few mm's i want to squeeze out, due to curviture.

Okay... I dunno how well I'll be able to tighten when i buy big ass monkey wrench tomorrow. These barrels are THICK. I guess I'll have to break out the silicon just in case. :-(

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have taken my torch and put heat around the bulk head area , just get it soft and flatten it out..then cool it with water .

Ask a Question