Can I put a big ice cube in my pond?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Pond is doing well, although getting on the warm side. The air temp here is about 31 degrees Celsius. Pond temp is about 80 Fahrenheit. I was thinking to put a large ice cube in the pond, the size of a margarine tub. Pond is 250 gallons, 7 fish.

Is this okay? Advice? I already have the pond partially covered and it has at least 60 % shade right now...

Steph in Mission, BC Canada:scratchchin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am doing a water change as I type. Don't know what the temp is, my fish like playing with the thermometer. But, it's been in the 90's here, so I know it's warm. I'm doing about a 30% change. I put the hose on the bottom. The fish are having a good time playing in the cold water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have 6 tanks in an indoor nursery that is not air conditioned. A few weeks ago, the tanks got up to 92 degrees. The Koi and others were all fine.

Reaction score
My fish would love if the water was 80 degrees. Right now mine is running about 95 everyday.
I would just do a water change once a week. That will help.

Reaction score
i would do partial water changes as most have mentioned, but i would also cut back on feeding too much, and leave fountains on especially at night, to try to keep the oxygen levels up.

Mick

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for the advice...

It is usually not that hot here, so I probably worry too much when we get a hot spell.

I did a partial water change, the water was getting greenish, but I was wondering...if I did have to cool the pond, and put a water hose in it, wouldn't the chlorine hurt them? It's a 250 gallon pond, so when I do a partial water change, it takes all day, because I am adding water prep to each 5 gallon bucket I add...is this necessary, or can I just add some water, then add the water prep? I would only be changing 50 - 100 gallons at a time, and you can appreciate this would take all day....how do you all do water changes regarding chlorine?

The fish are doing well, I only have 7 and the ammonia/nitrate readings, etc, are zero, I don't hardly test any more. The fountain is on 24/7.

Thanks all for the great advice!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
STEPH....NO, thats not neccesary..........pump out about 50 gals add enough dechlorinator for 50 gals to your pond and turn on the hose!.....thats a 20% waterchange...on a pond that small i would do 20%ers.

Reaction score
my pond is 3000 gallons, when i do partial water changes, i normally only do 10% but have never added anything to the water, it comes straight out of the tap, maybe the water in the uk is slightly different, it :nananananana:still seems very wet though

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
angler said:
my pond is 3000 gallons, when i do partial water changes, i normally only do 10% but have never added anything to the water, it comes straight out of the tap, maybe the water in the uk is slightly different, it :nananananana:still seems very wet though

our water has chlorine too angler

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
at 10% i dont dechlorinate either, but i would at 20%!!...and my water changes are usually one drain of my filter = 70 gals....about every 10 days. my prefilters collect almost all the fish waste..i rinse them every couple days...takes a couple minutes and eliminates the poop from the system. and collects it before its pureed by the pumps impellor.

Reaction score
I like my poop in my filter. Finally going to get my 4 way hooked up to the outlet so I can go from the 2" outlet to 3 - 1.5" outlets with hoses so I can drain without completely flodding the yard.

Ask a Question