Can't catch my koi!

Reaction score
Okay, what is the secret???? How do you catch these slippery sly fish??????? This is my third try and no go!!!!!!!!!

A tilapia I have been trying to catch for 4 months.

A white koi I thought was injured (and he may have been, but is fully healed now).

A yellow/black koi that looks like he might either have a fungus or is outgrowing his black scales - can't tell unless I catch him and can't catch him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UGH UGH UGH! Other than draining the pond and stressing all the fish - WHAT DO I DO????

I left the net in overnight, then tried feeding them around the net - NOPE, didn't work!

Thinking of not feeding them till tomorrow, pull out some squid and then trying to catch him, since they love diced squid.

While I was out there, neglecting my poor kids, I'm beginning to believe its more of a case of he is outgrowing the black scales - but I really want a close up look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Come up under it with your net and guide it to the surface and into the container you want to place it in , koi learn and are very crafty fish

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use food to ploy them up and then scoop they are caught .It is better to have 2 people one holding food in there hand and the other person the net

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use a seine to corral them to the edge and then use a net to move them to the surface where I put them in a bowl or use a sock net that holds water.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What I did in Fall was let my sit about a 1.5ft underwater. When the fish came near it I would just scoop up. Do slow movements until you are sure you can catch them or they'll be smart enough to keep running from the net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use 2 nets to catch them. Both nets are black. Corralling them with 1 net to the other net to scoop them up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can use a sock net but I find it better not to touch just gently guide most probably the same way as DoDad once in the container you can take your photo then release with no harm done to your koi :cool:(y) :)

Dave;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's easier for me to transport koi that are 24"+ with a sock net that holds water to the other pond rather than using a tub that is very heavy, For my 30" plus I use a rectangular measuring tank and guide them into it. I then bag them to move them.
I don't do ether much because those fish and water are heavy.
Never lift koi out of the water with a net if they are very large.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It's easier for me to transport koi that are 24"+ with a sock net that holds water to the other pond rather than using a tub that is very heavy, For my 30" plus I use a rectangular measuring tank and guide them into it. I then bag them to move them.
I don't do ether much because those fish and water are heavy.
Never lift koi out of the water with a net if they are very large.
:LOL: I agree totally we have the same benching tank you have and it does get very heavy thankfully though we have catching and bagging koi down to an exact science after 27 years :)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My rectangular measuring tank is made of fiberglass and it's really heavy when empty.

Reaction score
What I did in Fall was let my sit about a 1.5ft underwater. When the fish came near it I would just scoop up. Do slow movements until you are sure you can catch them or they'll be smart enough to keep running from the net.

Gotta make sure you have a high success rate, they learn fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I have to take my Koi out, I use a pillow case. They don't seem to mind it. Gracie is over 25".

Reaction score
Gave it a solid try again tonight. No go. I did catch 16 platys. I took them to the lady that gave me the stinking tilapia! Lol! Pay back! Now her pond can be full of red platys! Lol!

The good news is the more I look at the scales, the more I think its just a color change, it looks like the black is just fading. I do want to get a closer look before I dismiss it.

Ask a Question