Central Florida pond under construction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shinksma, Feb 11, 2013.

1. shinksma

taherrmann4

Welcome to the forum.

taherrmann4, Feb 12, 2013
    1. Advertising

2. shinksma

shakaho

My sunniest pond gets full sun for about 4 hours at midday. Plants around the pond give some shade as does a water lily in the pond. It's all of 18 inches deep and the fish do fine. As long as you have some protection from the sun the water won't get that warm. And remember, those people up north almost all get stretches of temperatures over 100F, which doesn't happen here. Also, because we have pretty much the same temperature every day during the summer, the fish adapt.
    When I built my first pond, I dug out a nice hole with vertical sides, put in a liner, filled with water, and anchored the edges just before the first rain of the season hit. When I came out after the rain, there was a bowl-shaped mud puddle with my liner wadded up in the middle. The water sank into the sand pretty quickly, then I dug the hole bigger and lined the sides with cement blocks before I replaced the liner. I think that since your pond is filled, if the soil around it is well packed, it should be stable by the time the summer rains arrive.
    I suggest the edges of your pond be at least 6 inches above ground level. When a tropical storm hits you can have a river inches deep running past your pond during the heavy rain. You want to keep dirty water from washing into your pond and fish from washing out.
    Unless you want to take a truck up north to get rocks, I suggest you look at nice pavers. The cost of rocks can exceed the cost of the rest of the pond construction.

shakaho, Feb 14, 2013
    1. Advertising

3. shinksma

shinksma

shakaho,
    Thanks for the tips. While i recognize that tropical rains can be quite heavy, in the 5 years I've lived in this house I've never experienced actual rivers of water in the yard - there has been some standing water, for sure, and some rivers near the downspouts, but the soil is very sandy, and everything seems to just sink into the ground. And I do spend time outside under an umbrella during the downpours when the dogs absolutely need there potty breaks and can't wait... :redface: This pond is well away from the house (and downspouts). So I think I'm safe with what will be about 3" or 4" above grade.
    Although real rock is going to be expensive, and yes, will probably exceed the cost of the liner, pump, plants and everything else, it is also the one thing we want to have done as best we can. I'm using pavers and other cheaper materials for the underwater/hidden structural elements, but real rock for the visible parts is worth it for us. So it's off to Pebble Junction tomorrow in the pickup, and a weekend of installation ahead. Good thing it's a long weekend (for me, at least), with President's Day on Monday.
    j.w, I really want some of that water hawthorn. A flowering floating plant will look quite nice, I think. There are very few sources of pond plants in the Orlando area, so I'm hoping Pondtastic or someone else has some whenever I get a chance to drop by.
    Speaking of which, what are the local sources my fellow Central Floridians use to obtain pond materials, especially plants? Hardware such as pumps are easiliy enough obtained online, but I like to pick out plants in person.
    And does anyone have any experience with Melon Sword? There is a local naturalized source available to me.
    shinksma

shinksma, Feb 14, 2013
  4. shinksma

shakaho

Plants -- the internet, but do check out aquatic ecosystems for pond materials. They don't really have a retail store, but they have a pick-up desk so you don't have to pay shipping for the stuff you order. I have literally spent hours reading their catalog. You might find some plants on craigslist -- usually in the spring when people repot. Pondtastic is disappointing. But if you want every bottle of expensive crap sold to dump in your pond, that's the place to go.
    Your best bet for plants will be the Central Florida Koi (and goldfish) Show in March. There will be lots of vendors there, but good plants go fast, so get there early.

shakaho, Feb 14, 2013
  5. shinksma

sissy sissy

gosh neat they have a show for just watergardens there .I remember up in NJ they had lots of garden shows but down here they only have the one in Roanoke and it is so crowded and not enough parking for people .

sissy, Feb 14, 2013
  6. shinksma

Pondskee

J.W, I have multiple water hawthorne in my pond and they bloom when temp start cooling down when others start to get dormant. I planted them in my deepest part of the pond.. 32-inch deep that is. . They like moving water.

Pondskee, Feb 14, 2013
  7. shinksma

j.w I Love my Goldies

I just have the one Water Hawthorne and it sure is taking its time in growing. Hope mine gets bigger and starts to flower again. I might have to move mine closer to moving water. What kind of soil do you have yours in Pondskee and do you fertilize it?

j.w, Feb 14, 2013
  8. shinksma

sissy sissy

Is that the same as the regular hawthorn you grow on land as I have one but it has never bloomed .Think it does not like me .Actually is a rather ugly thing and been thinking of taking it out .Maybe thats why it does not like me because I call it ugly .

sissy, Feb 14, 2013
  9. shinksma

Pondskee

J.W I stuck the plants between rocks and let them feed on muck. In colder climate they need the depth to protect their bulb free from freezing. My hawthorns got fertilized by koi poo, really. By spring all plants will disappear, die back to the mud and silt. But their seed will grow quick all over the pond.
    Sissy, I don't think they are the same species. The water type is: Aponogeton distachyus

Pondskee, Feb 14, 2013
    j.w likes this.
  10. shinksma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep you are in Cali. and we do freeze around here sometimes so would be scared mine would freeze. Wish mine would seed around in the pond. Would love to have more of them.

j.w, Feb 14, 2013
  11. shinksma

gardengimp

Wet ditches and neighborhood ponds and lakes?
    I haven't found a good place for like water lilies and such flowering water plants. Bioshpere is where I hear most people go for wetlands plants. There is also a place in Christmas, and a newer place on 44 in Volusia; so I've also heard. You can find marginals around the native plant sales; both vendors and events. Lukas had a trough of water lilies one spring, but they were $$$.
    I bring home local naturalized plants a lot. I just give them an extra good rinse and isolate them for a bit. I'm starting some seeds now, but they are mostly marginals. I do see a lot of ads on Craigslist, search for 'pond'.

gardengimp, Feb 15, 2013
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  12. shinksma

CountryEscape

Shinksma, you should check out the Classifieds on this Forum, too. Come spring, when fellow ponders are splitting tubers and plants, they have lots to sell or some give them away just have to pay the postage. You might get some really good deals there, too. Good luck!

CountryEscape, Feb 15, 2013
  13. shinksma

sissy sissy

check out florida hill nursery online .They don't have pond plants but some of the plants they have can be grown in ponds .I got a few plants from them and so did my neighbor .Nice healthy plants with great instructions .Free shipping on some and when I got mine I paid shipping for the first one but the rest were free .

sissy, Feb 15, 2013
  14. shinksma

gardengimp

Lookee here, somebody I haven't heard of before: http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/3571614632.html

gardengimp, Feb 15, 2013
  15. shinksma

shakaho

I went to Sea Life a few days ago, very tiny place, friendly, but I don't know what water lilies were $15, because she didn't show me anything for less than $22.

shakaho, Feb 16, 2013
  16. shinksma

sissy sissy

Buy your own seeds for lilies and lotus on e-bay you can also google them and there are a few that sell them online .They grow fast and since you have year round growing season even better .Do you have a mexican or oriental grocer there ,they even sell them because the are eatable .My cousin got them from a grocery in NJ and sent me some .They were 3 dollars for a whole bag of them .About 30 seeds or so .Grew great and shared them with ponders around here .Actually tried them and they are good .lotus and lily seeds and she got me oriental ginger root and bamboo shoots .

sissy, Feb 16, 2013
  17. shinksma

shinksma

OK, a couple of pictures, finally.
    First pic, morning of the second full day of digging, about a week ago, where I have the pond outline/shape dug out, but I have some rather thick root tangles to deal with.
    Eventually got them out, and the second pic is from late-afternoon today, with the pond established and just periphery stuff to finalize. There are a handful of small goldfish in the murk. I need to get some finer filter material for the waterfall to trap more of that silt. I have a couple bunches of hornwort (with lead weight bands) thrown in free floating, and another bunch "planted" in kitty litter clay as an experiment in which does better...
    That's a bog-garden on the right side full of plants already - pea gravel on bottom and top four inches, with some dirty sand ("Florida topsoil") in the middle layer, which is the source of my silt - hopefully that will settle down now that water is done sloshing around.
    Some plants "rescued" from local ponds, most purchased. Would like a lotus, and a colorful waterlily - will see if Lukas has any in stock, although I am afraid they'll be priced too high. Although it's not like we haven't already blown past the original budget...
    The rock is Catabwa river sliders (rounded flats), 2000 lb skid from Pebble Junction loaded in the back of our pick-up truck. There are 12"x12" patio stones underlaying them as a foundation, and a retaining wall on the far side of the pond from the camera point-of-view where it slopes down a foot or so. Also pea gravel and large river pebbles to mix in at ther transitions.
    A bit more touch-up tomorrow, with a couple of plant purchases possible.
    shinksma

Attached Files:

shinksma, Feb 17, 2013
  18. shinksma

gardengimp

Looking good!

It is still a bit early to find local flowering plants. A couple more months, you can find native lotus, lily, pickerel, and a floating plant some call banana lily.

You could make a floating impatien island. Mine is looking really nice right now, I will post pictures tomorrow.

gardengimp, Feb 17, 2013
  19. shinksma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Very nice.

addy1, Feb 17, 2013
  20. shinksma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Looks great and like how its raised up some so water can run off down hill.

j.w, Feb 17, 2013
    1. Advertising