Cold Pond

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
@callingcolleen1 , I'm recovering from surgery, so can't work on pond :( Also, my pumps are plumbed into my skimmer. I do have air stones going, under my pond de-icer...do you think that will be enough? I had a Pond Breather, but it was defective.
I myself just keep main pumps running all year round. I shut some pumps down that I use for extra circulation in spring. I use a underwater pump connected to a underwater big filter that can run for several months at a time. Nobody wants to mess with cleaning filter when it is minus 40 below. All pumps and filters are underwater that run all winter, that way they do not freeze below water and ice.

The problem with air stones is that the line can condensate and the water droplets inside can freeze off air Supply. I never myself use air pumps cause my winters can be too cold for that. Seen lots of other people I know over the years lose lots of koi using that method.

I will just keep the pumps flowing like the creek or river, like a nice simulated reduced winter flow like in nature. During the early spring, or just before spring, I increase the flow rate to simulate a natural spring runoff. That helps gets the ponds bottom all flowing good and helps to rid the ponds of sludge before it becomes a problem.

Creeks and river always breakup long before a lake. Our South Saskatchewan river had its ice breakup last week. This year was a much milder winter than compared to last year, for us out west.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's getting warm and warmer here.. today we will be in the 80s!! My fish came out 2 weeks ago but I still not feed them.. I'm hoping to start next week.

Byt he way, nice pond. AND I LOVE THE BENCH!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you please tell me how you made it? and how did you seal it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thx, Bench was real easy. Neighbor's tree fell during a bad storm so I gather up some of the wood for our summer bonfires. 2 similar sized, level large logs, took my circular saw and cut the exact width of a 4x6. Then I made multiple cut the same direction and chiseled out a large enough strip to get my saw zaw blade in there. Set the log on its side and cut the rest of it out. I bought a wood sealer and put it in a pump sprayer and sprayed the log top, bottom and around the sides to seal it. Its very easy! Works as a bench/ barrier for the dogs and kids. I plan on making one more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Colleen,

I froze over completely except for the inlet to my skimmer. Was hoping to grab a heater or 2 at the end of season if they are on sale. Figured setting that up in front of my skimmer will circulate the warmer water and keep it open even with the extreme cold. We actually had the coldest February on record this winter, no days above freezing. Not Canadian cold but damn cold for here. I lost 1 fish, not quite sure why.... I did have some leaves in the bottom of the pond but I don't think it was an excessive amount. Like I said I froze over completely but I don't believe it was for more then a day or 2. I want to be better prepared for next winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Anthony, that is exactly what we did with our pond (as directed by the previous owner of our house). We put a de-icer right in front of the skimmer inlet and it kept ice from forming inside the skimmer box and also kept the surface of the pond from completely freezing over on those sub-zero days. The waterfall ran all winter with no issues at all, and all three koi made it through the cold weather.

Ask a Question