Does an areation kit really make a noticeable difference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I keep an aerator going all year. I think it helps in the wintertoo when there is not a lot of dissolved O2 because my pond is covered with ice and snow......oh hate to bring that up when its 80 degrees!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The nitrification process consumes oxygen.
Aeration and surface water agitation will facilitate gas exchange that will help your pond process fish waste and organic decomposition faster.
That's a good thing.(y)
Well stated! I knew what it did, just couldn't find the words.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I keep an aerator going all year. I think it helps in the wintertoo when there is not a lot of dissolved O2 because my pond is covered with ice and snow......oh hate to bring that up when its 80 degrees!

Oh, that's fine by me. It's dreadfully hot and humid here. I'm from Canada. I would rather have snow, but not the deep freezes we got the past two winters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have this under my bridge but one faces one side of my pond and the other faces the other side

Attachments

• pond 2014 006.JPG
    pond 2014 006.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 313
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
My pond is about 2200 gall. I have one airstone I bought from Amazon for about $25. One is plenty for my pond with the waterfall. Mine kicks up a lot of bubbles. I had thought of buying a 4 port one, but had I done that I think I would have to turn them off to see the fish - too many bubbles. One is good for me.

About 3 weeks after I added it the algae disappeared.

I would recommend one for sure. I like it so much I think I will be ordering another one as a back up when this one fails.

I have two waterfall, so with two airstones, that should make for better aeration, I hope.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have an aerator with one stone. Right now it is in my nursery with the fry, but during the winter I keep it in the pond running 24/7. I've had mass kill-offs during the winter, so I don't take chances with them running out of fresh oxygen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Well, I bought a kit, but did not buy the $50 protective rock rover I found out the seller recommends. That's pretty pricey for just a cover! To protect the machine, I'd better buy it. I can't wait to get the stones in the water to see if the fish like it. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sort of it is just extra water from my 2400 gph pump that does not go to the second filter .I use sump pump hose and clamps .I have always used sump pump hose in my pond .It is under my bridge and one of the outlets is pointed one direction and the other is pointed the other way .I think it really helps aerate the pond .I have an aerator with 12 air stones .One is in each of my filters and 1 in my lotus lily pond and the rest are in the pond .Some are deep down and some are in the middle and the pvc thing moves the top water .I have 2 pumps and 2 filters and no bottom drain and no skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
OK, well, the pond stones are in and I ended up buying the ridiculously expensive fake rock to cover the aerator.
It appears as though the fish could not care less and I see no difference in their behavior. What's odd is, the catfish did not surface for food this morning after the aerators were put in place. The water is very warm, since the air temperature hit 95F today. I hope the catfish is OK, and is not upset about the ponds stones. Jaws is always hungry. He was fine yesterday morning.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought catfish loved cooler water and maybe they just need to get used to the noise and bubbles .You will not see much of a difference ,it will be very gradual .At those temps I put up my hoop house to try to shade my pond .You may want to get a pond thermometer for your pond .You can get one of those cheap giant ones that screw to something at the dollar store just to see what your water temps are

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
There is a thermometer. Actually there are two. 83 degrees. Wow!

The pond plants I buy either get sucked into the pump, won't multiple or slowly multiply but are still tiny (water lettuce.) << It stays close to the rocks in the corners. I have nudged them out, but they float back. In past years, we've had to give some away. We do have a fish tunnel.

There are trees and bushes that throw quite a bit of shade over the pond.

Anyone know of any fast growing trees or bushes that provide cover and food for birds?

Thanks very much for your replies, everyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Hey DoDad, how is it that your aerators' tubing do not freeze and crack in the winter? I am on the East Coast of the USA. I'd love to run them all year round, but would the tubing not freeze and crack?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use pool noodles with window screening tied to it .I prefer plants like bananas because trees just loose leaves

Attachments

• all around 7-14-15 011.JPG
    all around 7-14-15 011.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 216
  • pond 7 -9-15 020.JPG
    pond 7 -9-15 020.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 0398.JPG
    0398.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 178

Ask a Question