Does temperature affect water clarity?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now that the weather is cooling off, the water is getting clearer. My mechanical filtration (Skippy) isn't the best, so most of the murkiness has been due to particulate matter.

So, does the water temp play a part in water clarity?

Gotta say it was nice to sit out by the pond this morning and finally be able to see the submerged plants on the bottom (and leaves, and acorns.....not!).

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Same here. My water was a bit murky until it hit around 45-46 F, now it's cleared right up. Probably due to less single-cell algae.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think mine is too but with the leaves fall into the pond my water turn a nice shade of brown, so I dont see the bottom as clear as summer.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My water is crystal clear all year round, and it is located under trees and lots of stuff falls in. I do not have a UV light and have never needed one. I increase the flow of water in the spring to stir up the silt and get rid of lots of waste, and I net the pond bottom lots in the spring. I think the reason my pond is clear all year is due to the fact that I run big underwater filters all year round and I have a very very large sedge that sucks up lots of pond waste and under that large yellow flag sedge, that floats, the roots touch the bottom of the pond and really lick it clean! The sedge is 24 years old and needs to be divided again cause it is trying to take over more that half of the middle pond. It is not planted in any soil or anything, it is just a massive root ball that naturally floats!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If the cubes in your Gin & Tonic, appear cloudy, I would recommend adding more gin to counteract any contaminants.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Weight of water has no effect on turbidity.
Although water is at its maximum density at 4C, this is only slightly denser than at 10C or 20C. Water weighs 8.34 lbs/gallon.

OK, if you say so. The only thing I recall about water [well, for some reason I remember that 1cc of water weighs 1gm at 1degree C, or something like that, that I'll never use.....] -- anyway, is that the water molecules move more slowly at colder temperatures than at higher temperatures. I guess that's where I was going with the thought.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
OK, if you say so. The only thing I recall about water [well, for some reason I remember that 1cc of water weighs 1gm at 1degree C, or something like that, that I'll never use.....] -- anyway, is that the water molecules move more slowly at colder temperatures than at higher temperatures. I guess that's where I was going with the thought.....
That is correct. Density is actually a measurement of molecule movement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That is correct. Density is actually a measurement of molecule movement.
I think this may help you understand why the water apprears clearer at lower temperatures it seems that Diatoms Algae and bluegreen algae all have optimum conditions at which they like to reproduce.
Diatoms appear to grow best at 15-25° C., green algae at 25-35° C., and blue-green algae at 30-40°so as the temperature starts dropping then less algae produced,.
This also I believe ties in with Meyers answer about water density though I may be wrong :-

http://www.watercenter.org/physical...temperature-effects-on-fish-and-aquatic-life/

It makes for interesting reading Maggie and should help answer your question.

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think this may help you understand why the water apprears clearer at lower temperatures it seems that Diatoms Algae and bluegreen algae all have optimum conditions at which they like to reproduce.
Diatoms appear to grow best at 15-25° C., green algae at 25-35° C., and blue-green algae at 30-40°so as the temperature starts dropping then less algae produced,.
This also I believe ties in with Meyers answer about water density though I may be wrong :-

http://www.watercenter.org/physical...temperature-effects-on-fish-and-aquatic-life/

It makes for interesting reading Maggie and should help answer your question.

Dave
Well, I got 2 things out of the article [thanks, Dave]; warm temps increase the soluability of gasses [and other chemical components] in the water, and warm water also increases the rate of decomposition. As far as clarity goes, I can see how both would have an affect, but mostly the latter. If decomposition is reduced, then so would the amt. of suspended particles be reduced.

I recall our first couple of SCUBA experiences. Here, for proximity we are limited to local freshwater lakes, and our "check dives" were done in Arkansas, in July -- prime algae bloom season. For about the 1st 30' or so, viz was limited to about 1'-2' -- pretty bad. But once you got below that 1st thermocline, not only could you FEEL the temp difference, but the water was much clearer. You saw as well as felt the difference.

Ask a Question