Floating Fish Dome what are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It would have been nice to at least try it, but I don't want to risk roasting my fish! Besides, I couldn't find the size I'd have want, and I can just imagine how expensive it would have been if I did :wtf:

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well, gee, I think the dome is cool. If you like it, go for it!

The water in the dome won't get much warmer than the pond; especially with fish swimming up into it the water should be circulated pretty well. If you were worried about it you could pump some water into it. I looks like a greenhouse but the difference is it has one side wide open.

Yes, the pressure in the dome is lower, but to the fish it probably feels as different as swimming from 2' deep to the surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is the water able to circulate or is trapped under pressure?
I have no idea! I doubt anyone would know for sure much about it, unless they've owned one and carefully analyzed it!
So you get it first and then let me know if it's worth getting:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Is the water able to circulate or is trapped under pressure?
definitely circulates water same way as it does at any corner of pond , no pressure is inside water, pressure is on the structure walls as its resisting the pull downwards , its very powerful really u can try it with a bucket u can hardly lift it upside down

no change in temp as same sun rays are reaching as on surface may b little air temp is more but its like placing a heater in the pond , will it have any affect ? its placed o very minute part of pond in ratio so no effect . cooler water of pond will keep it same temp

I have no idea! I doubt anyone would know for sure much about it, unless they've owned one and carefully analyzed it!
So you get it first and then let me know if it's worth getting:)
i did DIY using aquarium , u can buy small acrylic/plastic container (they r lighter stronger) and steel stand or bricks for it to stand at smooth balanced surface u can see on utube for more , but take care as it can be dangerous use gloves etc . u will need to suck the air out after placing aquarium upside down . i bet u will b smiling when u see fishes play in it lol was fun , for algae there are magnetic sponges u can use it

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think the novelty would wear off quickly for me and I don't need to be cleaning the algae off a tank everyday in my pond. Already have to do that with my saltwater tank.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I made one to test how well it would work. Made it out of an empty animal crackers jug and a milk crate with a hole for the mouth of the jug. Shop vac the air out and it looked neat to see how far belly my goldfish are. They chased the food up into it. It was early spring so cleaning wasn't an issue. I lost interest after a while and it was a jug and a milk crate so it didn't look too good.
It works and was fun but short lived.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm all over it! Lol now I want a new pond!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I watched a video on a koi Dome, and I've totally fallen in love with the idea! I want to try one of these so bad, but I have a hard time believing what I see on TV, so first I'd like to hear some reviews/thoughts from you guys

Of course I wouldn't leave it permanently in the pond, I'd only use it when I can actually sit there and enjoy it.
Does any of you have/had one?

I made my own out of a security camera cover £17, polystyrene and clear acrylic sealant, also bought a pack of fake lilies £11 and fixed them in a circle to throw over the dome to cover the polystyrene, it looks pretty but has to be watertight where the dome is fixed to the polystyrene.
I did this because I’m not willing to pay at the least £80 for something that may not work
Pond is 2 meters across and we have 8 small goldfish
It took a few days and then suddenly they can’t get enough of it, sometimes
it seems they really like it, they glide up into it and stay still appearing to look around and enjoy the heat
They can definitely see what’s going on outside as when we approach the pond they dart away, but if we approach slowly or are sitting still by the pond they soon appear sometimes all 8can be seen either in it or underneath
Best and most rewarding thing I’ve ever made, needs a clean about once a week, but it’s only been in for a month during this hot spell so may need cleaned less

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1658243557958.gif
@cathfarmer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I made my own out of a security camera cover £17, polystyrene and clear acrylic sealant, also bought a pack of fake lilies £11 and fixed them in a circle to throw over the dome to cover the polystyrene, it looks pretty but has to be watertight where the dome is fixed to the polystyrene.
I did this because I’m not willing to pay at the least £80 for something that may not work
Pond is 2 meters across and we have 8 small goldfish
It took a few days and then suddenly they can’t get enough of it, sometimes
it seems they really like it, they glide up into it and stay still appearing to look around and enjoy the heat
They can definitely see what’s going on outside as when we approach the pond they dart away, but if we approach slowly or are sitting still by the pond they soon appear sometimes all 8can be seen either in it or underneath
Best and most rewarding thing I’ve ever made, needs a clean about once a week, but it’s only been in for a month during this hot spell so may need cleaned less

Attachments

• D6C97E1C-59A2-416B-980D-9D276BA389F9.jpeg
    D6C97E1C-59A2-416B-980D-9D276BA389F9.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 13
  • A2A272ED-634A-425C-A312-3F8D3F2B66DC.jpeg
    A2A272ED-634A-425C-A312-3F8D3F2B66DC.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 14

Ask a Question