floating fish dome

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
er, ok. Interesting. Here's the vid showing how they made it....

Not quite sure if i believe this or not.... have to experiment a bit, but the idea is cool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
And this one showing how the 4 sided column was made....

If this really works.... :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think they went out of favor because they really heat the water up in the summer inside them and cause fish health problems .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
So, 5 mins with Google, and the theory seems to be : If you remove the air, then atmospheric pressure on the surrounding water pushes the water up into the container to replace the air that's taken out. So it's not Vacuum pulling the water up, but atmospheric pressure pushing on the water. Therefore there will be a limit to the height (and volume?) of the column.

I'm going to try this.... if it works i can think of some neat additions i can make to the pond :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
I think they went out of favor because they really heat the water up in the summer inside them and cause fish health problems .

I'd never heard of them before seeing this.

I was wondering about Oxygen as well... there's no circulation here, apart from the disturbance the fish cause... will that deplete the water in the column after a while?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I remember reading post on a pond forum about them .The good the bad and the ugly .I can't find it but remember it was mentioned on here also

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've seen these before. I'm guessing it works the same way as if you put a glass in the water upside down and pull up, the water stays in the glass until you pull it all the way above the surface of the water.

It's interesting, but I don't think I'd want one. It reminds me of an aquarium, and theres a reason I have a pond and not an aquarium(y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
expensive novelty that I just don't care for .I have seen people build them on you tube but for some reason that person will put up a new you tube video of there pond and you don't see the dome in it and you ask and they say they just did not like it after awhile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a 30 gallon tall fish tank in my 500 gallon patio pond that is an observatory, same concept but mine is propped up on blocks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen them on few ponds. They're really cool to look at, but they do get algae covered really quickly, especially in the hot sun. And they can create hot spots in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep, I will post pics tonight. Key is to start putting food in there for it to float up, eventually they will understand they can go above the water line and will take about a week for them to get used to it.

Ask a Question