Floating plant baskets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've seen several folks here, plus you tube videos, of people making floating plant baskets out of foam wreath forms. These can be purchased at craft stores and sometimes dollar stores, the trick is fitting your pot to the wreath.

My questions is what type of media do you fill the pot with....soil, aqua soil, pebbles, bare root? Also what types of plants or plant combinations, have been successful?

Thanks! Kim

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did a floating island, it worked great until mr heron decided to use it as his personnel landing spot for fresh sushi. Island gone now.

I just put the plants in bare root, they did great.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a floating basket that I planted a forget me not in a couple years ago. I loved it, very little blue flowers that did well in my pond (lot's of shade) I used an aquatic planting media. Couldn't find one last year or I would have bought it again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
maybe I will try a small basket, now I have the net over the pond, the herons can't use it as a sushi stand.

Ask a Question