Goldfish maximum Temperature

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve seen things said but I want to hear what you folks think of max temp for goldfish. I can regulate it to some degree or at least leave water cool on bottom with valves, but as it runs now, with out plants fully grown in, it can get over 80. My tropicals are fine with that but in my older pond I would get some goldfish dieoffs and I always suspected temperature issue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fact you asked this question reflects you are aware goldfish are a cold-water species. I've seen pet shops sell someone a tank and heater for goldfish. Whatever. When necessary, I have kept goldfish in water over 80 degrees. Sometimes as high as 85 degrees. But I am only talking about one or two goldfish in a very large volume of water. What matters is the amount of the water's dissolved oxygen, water quality and a low bioload. Are you just asking about one goldfish? And is it for an indoor pond or aquarium?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, details, right. It’s for my pond. 15x30 and just a few to mix in there. Like 5 maybe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well 5 will turn into 500 before you know it. Yes, details help. How deep is the pond? Depth greatly helps. How many gallons? I live in Florida where it gets hot in the summer months and have to plan for warm water. Even well shaded ponds get hot here. Thus, I keep a very low bioload, plenty of aeration and excellent water quality. Those are the essentials. Your previous die-off was most likely due low oxygen or water quality issues. Which state do you live in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m in Hawaii. It’s above ground stone wall sides so maybe I get less cool ground benefit. 3.5 feet deep from top but only a foot and half below. Previous dies off could have been many things in the “test” pond. I have a good water fall type thing that aerates quite well and an oversized bog. So I think all else should be good. So if all is ok, what kinda temp is too high?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you've figured out it's not the heat that will kill them - it's the lack of oxygen.

Personally I'd be concerned for goldfish in any water that goes much about 80 degrees for prolonged periods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I live in Florida where my 300 gallon above ground pond is 80 F plus for a couple of months in the summer. I cover half of it with shade cloth during that time, and have two large air stones that run constantly. This was the third summer with this set up, and I haven’t lost any fish. Ten are five to eight years old and good sized, with another ten or so babies.
IMG_1091.jpeg
IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_0501.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I too am in Florida and we have had very high heat for the whole summer. My pond is about 900 gallons but it is under a Live Oak tree so it is shaded during the hottest months....I have never lost a fish....Of course I make sure that there are a lot of lily pads for cover and I have an aerator with two stones on for six months.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m in Louisiana, where we had record high temps this summer. My temporary “pond” is also under a live oak, and this summer, even with the heat, the water temps never got much into the 80’s. When I had my real pond (old house), water temps got close to the 90’s. I provided lots of extra air and water movement to help with oxygen. Never lost a fish…..but I did work hard at keeping the water temp down (shade sails).

BTW…..you can look this up on the internet……

IMG_7797.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so now you don't have to worry about 80 degree water you have to worry about finding a GBBUDD LAYING IN YOUR POND WITH A LAY AND A RUM SWIZZLE. No you can't have my little umbrella....
But wait @GBBUDD, you forgot the little umbrella!
@Mgessert, I agree. My turtle Neptune and a goldfish live in a Kim's Pond's much like yours. I too, have to take care to monitor the water temperature and water quality so the goldfish doesn't suffer.
@WetWilly, I think the common message is your goldfish can survive at higher temperatures if the dissolved oxygen level is sufficient and you have excellent water quality. Many of us have a temperature spike in the summer and our goldfish 'work through it' until cooler weather. But in Hawaii, where the average temperature is roughly 80 degrees, the question is whether it is worth the effort and most importantly, whether it is in the best interest of cold-water goldfish kept in perpetually in hot water conditions. They won't be happy and that is contrary to our goal of providing our pond and water garden fishes with the best conditions possible. Personally, in your situation, I would keep tropical fishes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are so many beautiful topicals out there. i wouldn't even think about gold fish Buy some high dollar tropicals and breed them in the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes and thank you all. I think this will get better for me once it grows in and maybe another sale. But more about oxygen and not temp. So this actually confirms my other solution of back up bubbles.

And I totally do dig on just the tropicals. I have some large bala sharks, gouramies, angels, tetras, and live bearer varieties…and other community fish. All rad. Came from old pond. But where I got this new one and that it is elevated sometimes you see across the water more than into it from 25 feet’s away. So I was tinkn’ that if I got some goldfish I wold see them skittle around. They like to eat the tropical babies so pretty good as long as the don’t get fin nipped.

I will ponder

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It's not about the temperature of the air.. It's about the temperature of the water.

Ask a Question