Koi or koi goldfish hybrids

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just sorting out the pond for the winter and came across a lot of new fish I have goldfish and two koi not sure if the new fish are koi or hybrids and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1915.jpeg
    IMG_1915.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1964.jpeg
    IMG_1964.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hard to say as they are very quite shy and swim away as soon as I get close been sat trying to fish some of them out…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That’s the closest I can get sorry

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 26

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
anybody.gif
@Wingers981
I sure can't tell. I don't see any barbells which would mean goldfish but it's hard to see around their heads. Regular goldfish start out blackish and then turn oj. Not sure what color koi look when really small or how soon they get more colors. You will have to get up close and personal to see those barbells I guess. Maybe binoculars? They move too much tho like you said.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 160961@Wingers981
I sure can't tell. I don't see any barbells which would mean goldfish but it's hard to see around their heads. Regular goldfish start out blackish and then turn oj. Not sure what color koi look when really small or how soon they get more colors. You will have to get up close and personal to see those barbells I guess. Maybe binoculars? They move too much tho like you said.
Got a few black ones which I think are goldfish…..the white one with the black tip on his tail looks a different body shape and a few other little ones with different colours and markings think looking at the great google koi start off pretty see through then go white and have colour very early on!! Have to wait and see. Thank you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Got a few black ones which I think are goldfish…..the white one with the black tip on his tail looks a different body shape and a few other little ones with different colours and markings think looking at the great google koi start off pretty see through then go white and have colour very early on!! Have to wait and see. Thank you
grinning cat.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think they are goldfish. Koi have mouths that turn down and I don't see that on any of those fish. Doesn't mean they can't be, but my vote is for goldfish.

Did you notice the koi spawning? It's usually pretty hard to miss since it normally makes a mess of the pond with lots of foam.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think they are goldfish. Koi have mouths that turn down and I don't see that on any of those fish. Doesn't mean they can't be, but my vote is for goldfish.

Did you notice the koi spawning? It's usually pretty hard to miss since it normally makes a mess of the pond with lots of foam.
They do look more like goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The orange and blue looks to be a koi everything else looks gold fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I’m not sure I work 5 days a week so hardly noticed anything saw them all chasing eachother around the pond this summer but couldn’t say to be honest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you check your pond every day,I think you would have seen the foam. It takes a day or two for it to clear.

It's not as evident with goldfish, but with koi the volume is much larger and hard to overlook.

Ask a Question