Help with Koi

Reaction score
I believe you are correct zman... If the yellow one has no othe markings and is completely one color. This is a guess.... It would be a Ki Ogon Doitsu Butterfly. The water is murky, but it looks like you may have a Bekko, the white and black one.
Very nice :)

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I currently don't have any doitsu in my pond, which is probably why this fish is so appealing to me. It's very hard to get lucky and just find one at a pet store. I've thought about buying off eBay but you end up spending $50 for a 6" fish and that's just not worth it to me. That's why I would definitely buy a doitsu that large for $50

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I currently don't have any doitsu in my pond, which is probably why this fish is so appealing to me. It's very hard to get lucky and just find one at a pet store. I've thought about buying off eBay but you end up spending $50 for a 6" fish and that's just not worth it to me. That's why I would definitely buy a doitsu that large for $50
Why not order onile from one of the koi dealerships Zman tht way you'll get your doitsu (y)

Dave :haqppy:

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Why not order onile from one of the koi dealerships Zman tht way you'll get your doitsu (y)

Dave :haqppy:
Because ordering online is simply too expensive for me. I don't like spending $50 on a 5" fish, $200 on a 12" fish. I would pay $50 for a 12-15" fish but those are never available like that online.

Reaction score
I currently don't have any doitsu in my pond, which is probably why this fish is so appealing to me. It's very hard to get lucky and just find one at a pet store. I've thought about buying off eBay but you end up spending $50 for a 6" fish and that's just not worth it to me. That's why I would definitely buy a doitsu that large for $50[/QUO
My local koi farmer in Kalamazoo, Michigan will sell HUGE Kio for $15-30!!!!! Moose Miller is his name, google him. He has 7 huge man made natural ponds (no liners). He is an older man and nice as can be, but I don't think he ships. He lets anyone come out in the evening at feeding time and it is AMAZING!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Because ordering online is simply too expensive for me. I don't like spending $50 on a 5" fish, $200 on a 12" fish. I would pay $50 for a 12-15" fish but those are never available like that online.
The thing about koi Zman is the longer you keep them and the more you lern about them , then the better and more expensive they get, use your noddle ,my young friend you have Birthdays and Christmas's dont you ?.....so whats wrong with asking your family and relatives to get them for you :LOL:
Part of our extensive koi health and fish disease library comes from Birthday and Christmas pressy's some comes from the selling on of koi when they have grown on , some books come from fish Auctions the rest are gifted to us or are from Amazon thats how we built it up .
So between Birthdays Christmas's and selling on of your koi when they get too large you sould be able to aford them .
Want me to let you into a little secret ???... you really like my koi dont you ???......well our most expensive koi ever was £125.00 oour latest £75.00 but the ones you saw the Photo's of ?..well thy cost as little as £45.00 as you progress and if you get to know what it is your looking for "Val has a perfect eye for koi" , I'm just he wallet :LOL:
Buy some of the books weve bought they will teach you all you need to know and Amazon is the cheapest place to buy them especially if you look for good conditioned second hand ones :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/our-fish-koi-health-library-with-reviews-of-each-book.10498/

Hope this helps in a really big way for you mate (y)

PS this is only part of all the books in our Library

Dave

Reaction score
Funny to think of Zmans #1 quality of his wife would be her eye to find awsome fish!!!!

My husband said, "I'll fund your project/hobby but I wont do heavy labor" fine by me cause I'm a heavy type worker. thats the fun part. Finishing te project is drivin me to drink!!!

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The thing about koi Zman is the longer you keep them and the more you lern about them , then the better and more expensive they get, use your noddle ,my young friend you have Birthdays and Christmas's dont you ?.....so whats wrong with asking your family and relatives to get them for you :LOL:
Part of our extensive koi health and fish disease library comes from Birthday and Christmas pressy's some comes from the selling on of koi when they have grown on , some books come from fish Auctions the rest are gifted to us or are from Amazon thats how we built it up .
So between Birthdays Christmas's and selling on of your koi when they get too large you sould be able to aford them .
Want me to let you into a little secret ???... you really like my koi dont you ???......well our most expensive koi ever was £125.00 oour latest £75.00 but the ones you saw the Photo's of ?..well thy cost as little as £45.00 as you progress and if you get to know what it is your looking for "Val has a perfect eye for koi" , I'm just he wallet :LOL:
Buy some of the books weve bought they will teach you all you need to know and Amazon is the cheapest place to buy them especially if you look for good conditioned second hand ones :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/our-fish-koi-health-library-with-reviews-of-each-book.10498/

Hope this helps in a really big way for you mate (y)

PS this is only part of all the books in our Library

Dave

Thanks Dave, Christmas is a good idea but I usually ask for camera and film equipment. I'm attending college to become a professional filmmaker. Since I am at the university most of the time, I probably shouldn't be spending too much money on fish right now anyway, since after this summer I might never live at home with my pond ever again. I guess I have to put my hobby on hold until I have a house of my own. Thanks for the advice though!

Ask a Question