Heron Attack! (repost)

Reaction score

Hello everyone, new here. I had a question, I have a koi pond that HAD 12 beautiful butterfly koi, in a matter of days they were all gone. I originally thought they were hiding but am now convinced after weeks of looking that they are gone. I believe it was a heron as there are no half eaten fish or signs or struggle etc.

I have had goldfish in the past that were mystersiouly taken so I used a fake gator, upped my plant surface coverage, used fishing line around the pond, added a koi castle etc etc etc to stop this predator, but to no avail. I finally lost my wits after this Heron made off with 200 dollars worth of koi and regaled to buying a net to put over the pond (which I hate but am out of ideas).

I dont plan on buying any new koi till next year as I dont see any point in putting them in before the winter (I live outside Philadelphia). My question is this: Do I have to get a net that the holes are so small in diameter? I've seen them at about .25 inch. I had some rebarb posts around the pond that I set up to wrap the fising line around adn was looking for a net that I could put on top of that but they dont fit. It would be alot easier to put/take off the net over the rebarb for maintenance et.c I was thinking of like a crab net but dont know where to get them. (15'x15')

Also would a net with larger opening even prevent Heron attacks? Any/all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

I should add that I inherited this pond when I bought my house and it has been a huge money pit, but I love it. If I could only keep the koi in it would be great.

Thanks in advance!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bconzelman,
I have 2 foot high chicken wire around the pond, it walked through the fishing line I had at first, around the pond, got its feet tangled and did a header into the pond.
The second heron to come around flew over the chicken wire, landed in the pond, got snagged on the fishing line I had over the pond.
We were leaving town for two weeks, so I went and got deer fencing from lowes, put two runs of it over the pond until I can get back home.

At this point we have deer fencing over the pond
chicken wire around the pond
two alligators in the pond
The heron appears to be very aware of the alligators, stares at them on alert then goes and eats bugs. One is tethered to some fishing line tied to a rock, it floats around so never at the same spot. The other gator is in the lilies, it does not move as much.
We have a large pond 27x20 more or less. There is room for the bird to fly in, it has not walked in.
Our pond is deep 2-5 feet, but the bird floated like a duck stabbing at the fish, the one time it went over the fence(before the deer fencing on top), for the few moments it was in the pond as I ran out screaming at it.............lol, the fish went deep I could see them on the bottom on the fish cam.

When we get back I may remove the deer fencing to see if the bird will try to fly into the pond again.
I am hoping as it gets cold they go south..........but have also heard they might stay for the winter.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Addy,
I am thinking you should rename your pond Fort Knox!

I think you need to add a few IED's and some mines.

Here is hop Addy spends her day......Instead of a gopher it's a heron...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LMAO tmann..................no kidding

I think the gators would do it without the fencing, I just did not want to take a chance since we are not home. Would hate to dial in and watch the bird eat the fish.

Reaction score
When I went out to feed my fish this morning my neighbor told me that when he walked out of his house a Heron made a screech and flew out of my yard. My fish were all stiil there, and did not seem to be spooked at all. I have a electric fence around my pond so maybe he got a little correction? I will cover my pond this winter with a dome like plastic bubble again, keeps it nice and clean and I also don't have to worry so much about something getting in there and making a mess of things.

I also now have a 70lb American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff), or if you don't know what a Amstaff is, most people call him by his slang name Pitbull. He is not a big fan of uninvited guests.

Ask a Question