I need some help - Please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I would add plants. My first pond was a little preformed one which spent the first summer green like yours is. The second spring I put a willow branch that had broken off the tree in for the frogs to have a way out of the pond. Pretty soon that branch sprouted roots and small green shoots. The greener the branch got, the cleaner the pond got. I got to see the fish and my little pond had its first plant. My current pond is 25x35 foot and 30 to 36 inches deep. The pond bug bites hard.

Koiandturtlepond0000

iJustWantANicePond:)
Reaction score
Just over a month on from when i started this forum and my pond has changed dramatically!
Instead of the awful pea green colour water that made it almost impossible to see my fish it has changed to beautiful clear water!!
IMG_9974.JPG
Clean pond fish.jpg
Clean pond.jpg

Koiandturtlepond0000

iJustWantANicePond:)
Reaction score
Thanks to Sissy and Talal101 for the very helpful initial help! Also thanks to Tula, shakaho, snoozer, addy1, nepen and fishylove for the useful suggestions.

As you can probably tell, i am very pleased with the outcome of the pond after just a month.

You will probably want to know what i did..
The problem was that the pond itself had too much algae in it and was way too dirty for the pump and filter to completely clean itself. There was no way the filter was going to clean the pond completely, so i completely cleaned out the pond and took extra care this time... i've added some plants and the different position of the pump feedback hose has given the pond more 'movement'. I will admit i had a little help with this, i hired someone who knew what they were doing to clean the pond!

It's great though, as i can see all my fish and i can actually see the sturgeons for the first time since putting them in the pond!

Thanks for all the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
wow congrats to all members :D success! good team work , i was reading all the posts very good advises , learnt alot , i was also thinking technically its the dimension of pond that can make things difficult to maintain if its too shalow compared to its width it will catch more sun and heat , since in deeper ponds light wil reduce as it goes deeper so maintains good ratio and easy for filters too , accurate amount of Potassium permanganate. a type of salth that can kill all green stuff in one day , u just need to maintain light pink water for 8 hours without leting it become yellow , then it will kill all green stuff without even need to scrub it away after that replace 60% water .... natural cheaper ways ... u cud have added some shelter or trees runners to have some shade , but iv read for fish growth , the green water is energy drink! it has spirulina algae high protein but things get bad when lack of oxygen or it gets too dense , u can also add one thing which helps alot in ponds every one shud have is continues water inlet outlet even if its drop by drop , wil continuesly remove green water or nitrates and bring fresh water full of minerals , fishes love it ! , now im waiting when wil uremove the grill may b can start new forum for its replacements , is it bcz of birds ? if for kids u can have small fence or for birds? may b u can elevate it a bit till eye level and leave some space for viewing fish .

Last edited:

Ask a Question