Introducing "Scarlett"

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
This dragonfly has been coming to visit our pond every day for several weeks now. She buzzes around so rapidly I've had a hard time getting a pic. Finally she landed on some cattail leaves and posed for me. I just love her color, hence the name. :)

scarlett dragonfly.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That one sure is brightly colored. I love when they come to visit my pond. Sometimes if I am laying on a lounge chair with bare feet one will land on my big toe, lol! Seeing lots of little skinny baby ones now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! great color, we have some with striped wings.

I have been seeing a lot of the tiny ones too jw! flitting all over the place.

Reaction score
We have 3 with lavender stripes on their wings. My wife loves dragon flies. The red one is one of the neatest ones that I've seen in a while.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Was on my 2 hr walk today and found this poor guy on the road. Must have had a run in w/ a car. He doesn't look injured but doesn't fly, maybe stunned. Walked all the way home w/ him on my hand. Got home and put him near the bathtub pond on a flower to rest. Will check on him now and then. Hoping he makes it.

IMG_1965.JPGIMG_1968.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jw the dragon fly rescuer! good job...two hours every day? wow

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He's moved down the stem of the flower I put him on and into the shade. I once found one at the ocean in the water w/ my grand-daughter and we thought it was dead. It was a big beauty. I tried to give it artificial massage to get it back and guess what he either was just really tired and not dead or he came back cuz he revived and flew away later on. My grand-daughter still remembers to this day. She must have been 4 or 5 at the time. I know I'm just nuts but can't help myself. I was an only adopted child and played w/ ants as my friends sometimes.
addy I try to go maybe 3 times per week on my long walk but sometimes I take the short route of only 1 hour.............just depends on my mood and if it's too wet or too warm out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
how neat jw! Scarlett is redder than yours though, maybe it needs a hair makeover. ................lol just looked to make sure we were still on topic............lmao

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well I guess we are still on topic cuz we are still talking dragonflies anyways. Scarlett is a regular at pinon's pond but don't know if this one will be or not. Well I guess if he doesn't make it he will be kind of a regular cuz I can set him out by the pond on a rock and he can be at peace there forever or at least til the wind blows.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could put its little feet in plaster to anchor the lil one to always be there jw

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha addy the wind around here would suck his body right off his feet and all that would be left was his little legs. Now I think we are getting off topic, lol!

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Love your new buddy, J.W.! What a beauty! I hope he sticks around for awhile.

We have 3 with lavender stripes on their wings. My wife loves dragon flies. The red one is one of the neatest ones that I've seen in a while.

Oh, I'd love to see one of those! Hope you can get a pic to share with us.

Anyone else have dragonfly pics, post away. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My buddy wasn't there this morning when I went to look. Couldn't find him anywhere. Guess he took off. Maybe I'll see him around my pond sometime. Hope so :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That is a beautiful red dragonfly, Pinion! Wow, I've never seen such a bright colored one. I have seen only a few so far, large ones and small ones. Will have to see if I can ever catch one sitting. I like this post! I'm hoping others have pretty pictures to share. JW, that was great of you to rescue that guy! I'll bet he hangs around. I once rescued a baby rabbit, let it free when older, and I swear it was in our yard for the next 3 years! Never saw a rabbit until released that one. So, maybe your dragonfly will be forever thankful and make your pond his new home. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now that I've got this utube video thingy kinda figured out I will be on the lookout for dragonflies to video and post. Country I hope I see him again around here too. He was right in the middle of the road and he would'a got squished :sad:

Ask a Question