Keeping Our Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Extensive cleaning, repair, scaping and in-pond plant care. Just about everything. All of these tasks are hired out. Earlier this year I foolishly had some scaping changes started plus an underground root extending the liner was discovered. To save cost and time both the land and water scaping will be returned to its previous look. The underground root will be cut in October when the tree is dormant.

I had two thoughts when I read your post Lou - #1 is there a way to reduce the amount of maintenance on your pond to a level that you are comfortable with (either doing or hiring out)? And #2 would it be a good conversation for others to think about either with their existing pond or a future pond... what can I do to keep the work manageable as I age or if I develop unforeseen health issues?

I will tell you that, for me, lawn creates much more work than the pond. I just finished mowing, trimming, fertilizing and edging our relatively small front yard - nearly two hours of work. And thanks to that fertilizer, I know I will continue mowing twice a week for the rest of the summer - especially if the weather stays below 80 degrees like it has been! The pond was my resting spot after all the work was done.

I know that it's not the amount of time required to work on the pond that is concerning to you, but the actual physical labor. I know it's probably far easier to find someone to maintain your lawn that it is to take care of your pond. And that's a fact of life that we will all probably face at one time or another. I hope you can keep your beautiful pond for as long as possible!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Happy to hear your wife convinced you! When non-ponders tell me they think ponds are a lot of work, I usually try to convince them otherwise (old thinking from back when I had a tiny preform and spitter with few maintenance type plants).

However, now that i've upsized, I do see the effort (especially now when i'm still mid-construction) but even after the hard part is over -- grooming the lilies, tending to the skimmer, pulling *#^$(*%# string algae, etc etc. Thankfully, i'm still able to keep up but I really like the thinking around trying to figure out how to make it easier on you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lou,

thought I'd weigh in on what I do and maybe it might allow you to continue the pond. I read most of the threads, though don't post as often, but still have had a lot of ideas come from here as well as see that the way I'm running my pond, surely does minimize the effort compared to others, which I sense you are looking for in keeping your pond.

A large reason for not having as much worry/work, besides the bog, is the fact my pond is enclosed and I get no predators nor leaf/debris.

So, for filter; I have a bog (bottom fed from a pump in the pond) and pond plants, and that is the extent of it. No maintenance, nothing but watching the bog help keep the water clean.

I have two air stones ( used to have one, but winter seems to like to shut down one line sometimes, here in Michigan) plus a waterfall and stream to help add oxygen.

My pond is about 2700 gallons (roughly 18' x 9' x 4', and can see the bottom), I have about 100 goldfish varying in size from 10" to 3", one small turtle, and two frogs. I feed about two handfuls of food a day, sometimes every other, and the fish are usually fat and healthy.

Now, I have never done any major water change, I do fill up often in the summer when it's hottest, maybe 3-4" at a time, depending, and have also never tested the water either. I tend to watch how the fish, plants, frogs, snails are doing and as long as they are acting normal, I figure all is well.

I have not had the dreaded green pea soup ever, though sometimes in the spring, the water is less than clear. Sometimes I get string algae but it seems to go away as the summer moves forward.

The only maintenance I usually do is groom the plants and lower the lilies in the autumn.

Winter; last year I used a pond breather and have a heater ready, just in case, to keep the pond open for off gassing. To date, I average maybe 3 fish losses a year and I'm assuming that's because they were weaker than the rest and couldn't handle the last two record setting season's cold.

So, not sure you can mimic this or even want to, but really, I rarely do much but sit and enjoy the fish. I hope you can continue because I know how it would be here, should I have to consider shutting everything down; not something I'd ever look forward to and I sense you'd like to avoid also.

Perhaps I've given you some ideas/alternatives and you can continue on even longer. At least I hope so.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our experience is much the same as yours @brokensword . Our bog does all the work of filtering the pond, and most of our in-the-pond plants are naturalized, so other than tending to the lilies we don't have any work there. We have also never done a water change, we don't test our water - we're pretty hands off when it comes to how the pond functions at this point. Mainly we just sit.

Lou raises such a great point for everyone to consider - can I continue to maintain my pond as is or can I make changes that will make it easier for me in the future? For example, when we built our pond, being able to get in and out safely was a big concern so we built "steps" into one side that make it very easy for me to get in and out without fear of falling or slipping. Folks who are researching building a pond would do well to consider their options as they build to make their pond a long term fixture in their lives. We never know what the future holds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All too true, Lisa; I didn't really plan on ever being IN the pond, to tell you the truth, so I didn't even think of putting in steps. Though, one side of my pond has a slope that goes from 4 to 18" before plunging down to 4' so I suppose I could always use that as my 'step', hey? Still, gonna have to be threat of enemy submarine before I think of going in...heh!

I really hope Lou can keep the pond by minimizing all the chores, though; I wish I'd put in the pond years ago and realize how much I've been missing!

Michael

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
I had two thoughts when I read your post Lou - #1 is there a way to reduce the amount of maintenance on your pond to a level that you are comfortable with (either doing or hiring out)? And #2 would it be a good conversation for others to think about either with their existing pond or a future pond... what can I do to keep the work manageable as I age or if I develop unforeseen health issues?............

I already have answers to both questions Lisa.

Since we do not have ornamental fish my comments may be of less help to others. Regardless, every spring our pond is thoroughly cleaned by a two person crew. The pond is completely drained. What Gambusia's that can be netted are moved to a pond water filled container. Alll potted plants are removed.

The cleaning - All muck from the bottom and from behind the decorative stones (there is no gravel or other small rock in the pond) is removed. Every single bit is removed. All decorative stone is lightly pressure washed. Any algae is completely removed. Every portion of the liner is cleaned. When the cleaning is finished the interior of the pond is spotless. The in-water pump debris case is removed and thoroughly cleaned. The external pressurized bio-filter is flushed.

Plants - Plants are divided as needed. Repotted, fertilized then placed back Existing border plants are maintained as needed.

Ongoing - Throughout the year the pond is scooped out as often as possible. Debris is removed when found. Having a top quality long extension pole and dip net is vital The external pressurized bio-filter is flushed. The grass cutting crew scoops out any grass that may have blown into the pond. During the fall, scooping is a weekly task. If I can't do it then a member of the yard crew does. Along with the yard, the crew maintains all plants and area around the pond.

All of the above work keeps our pond in good shape year round. The recurring cost is a part of our household budget. We keep a fund to cover maintence when special need arises. Our pond is over 15 years old. We have lived in our home for over 25 years. I took care of everything for about 18 years. After my decline in health more and more of the work was hired out. Now about 99% is by our veteran yard and pond crews.

Our pond is a treasure. Like any treasure it must be carefully looked after. It is such a tranquil place. Just sitting near it makes you feel better.

[/COLOR]

Ask a Question