Let's do it again Sam

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No the current tarp was huge. It will be slightly smaller but only on the edging area.
As long as the new liner is large enough to supply a 6" - 12" edging then you will be OK. Water should not be allowed to infiltrate the space between the two (2) liners. This will result in anoxic conditions that could present problems later on.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dr foster and smith charges for liner delivery now but you can check out webbs also or like said ebay or amazon .I would google it to see if you can find a cheaper place .how big a liner I will look it up

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As long as the new liner is large enough to supply a 6" - 12" edging then you will be OK. Water should not be allowed to infiltrate the space between the two (2) liners. This will result in anoxic conditions that could present problems later on.
Well crud. I mean that's the whole reason to put the new liner in is fear of the old one leaking. :( Could I put it in until the water adjusts and then pull it out at a later date?

Dr foster and smith charges for liner delivery now but you can check out webbs also or like said ebay or amazon .I would google it to see if you can find a cheaper place .how big a liner I will look it up
And probably 20x25, same as you. Thank you!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Meyer,
The issue is I can't really afford to buy a full pool and the new liner. I'm trying to find a way to move the fish out and back in that will be the least stressful and least expensive. You know, a miracle solution...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's what I was wondering @Meyer Jordan if the old liner has any holes in it water could get between the two and cause problems. Would it be better to put the old liner down first, use it as a protection for the new one from rocks? Not sure I would even bother w/the old one at all. If you get a good new one it should do fine. Maybe put some holes in old one if none so water can drain out from between them w/old liner underneath?

@tbendl I see you just posted more info. Not sure I understand about the new liner? When you say full pool?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not sure I understand about the new liner? When you say full pool?
I'm looking for the best way to rehome the fish after I replace the liner and in previous conversations it was recommended that I buy a refurb or wal-mart swimming pool, saving a huge amount of water and leaving room for the lilies and plant life to sit in while I dropped in a new liner and let it sit for 4-6 while the liner/water settled enough to return the fish to their home. I had wondered if reusing the growth on the old liner would speed up the process and remove the need for a large holding tank for water and fish.
Does that make sense? I mean it does in my head, I'm just not sure if I'm explaining it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok I think I get it. You are worried about there not being any good bacteria and living growth on new liner w/new water. Well if you keep a lot of the old water there should be enough good stuff in that amount of water and also on the plants you had in there. Or wonder if you could cut up big parts of the old liner and and put in a big holey bag thing and drop it in new pond water to help activate your water?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok I think I get it. You are worried about there not being any good bacteria and living growth on new liner w/new water. Well if you keep a lot of the old water there should be enough good stuff in that amount of water and also on the plants you had in there. Or wonder if you could cut up big parts of the old liner and and put in a big holey bag thing and drop it in new pond water to help activate your water?
Ohhh now I could totally do that! But you're right, I don't have any huge containers that would allow me to keep the bulk of the water. I would fill every crate, bucket, tote, and container I own with water and I can buy a kiddie pool for the fish but that would be it with what I've got right now. So I was wondering exactly that, if keeping the liner in the new pond would season the new water much more quickly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think keeping pieces of the liner would be good enough along w/as much water as you can save. The water the fish will be in while out of the old pond will be able to be used also. Also when you fill the new liner you could just put some water in at first and add more slowly each day after till the pond is full. That way you would be putting the fish in right away but not in a bunch of new water. I don't think you should put the old tarp over the new liner tho, just my opinion as if it ever does get holes then you will have water in between the 2 liners and could cause problems.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's what I was wondering @Meyer Jordan if the old liner has any holes in it water could get between the two and cause problems. Would it be better to put the old liner down first, use it as a protection for the new one from rocks? Not sure I would even bother w/the old one at all. If you get a good new one it should do fine. Maybe put some holes in old one if none so water can drain out from between them w/old liner underneath?

@tbendl I see you just posted more info. Not sure I understand about the new liner? When you say full pool?

The problem is that If the old liner does indeed leak, then the location of the leak is critical to whether or not to leave it in place and just put a new liner over it. If the leak is anywhere other than the bottom of the pond, water will accumulate in the space between the two (2) liners creating the perfect conditions for potential problems. Even punching hole in the old liner will not guarantee that water will ot accumulate somewhere. It doesn't require much water to breed millions of bacteria and pathgenic organisms. The equivalent of 'drops' (micrograms) is more than sufficient.
I would remove the old liner completely and install new liner with appropriate underlayment protection.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The problem is that If the old liner does indeed leak, then the location of the leak is critical to whether or not to leave it in place and just put a new liner over it. If the leak is anywhere other than the bottom of the pond, water will accumulate in the space between the two (2) liners creating the perfect conditions for potential problems. Even punching hole in the old liner will not guarantee that water will ot accumulate somewhere. It doesn't require much water to breed millions of bacteria and pathgenic organisms. The equivalent of 'drops' (micrograms) is more than sufficient.
I would remove the old liner completely and install new liner with appropriate underlayment protection.
I don't have a problem doing that, it was more for the organic growth on the liner than anything else, which is why I had considered putting it back in over the new liner. What about, as J.W suggested, net bagging the old liner and dropping it in the new pond as a growth stimulator?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't have a problem doing that, it was more for the organic growth on the liner than anything else, which is why I had considered putting it back in over the new liner. What about, as J.W suggested, net bagging the old liner and dropping it in the new pond as a growth stimulator?

This can be done, but as J.W. also said, the bacteria that you need will also be in the existing pond water along with many other beneficial organisms that would not exist in the biofilm on the old liner. Saving as much original pond water as possible is the way to proceed.
I have never endorsed the 'cutting corners' philosophy. In setting up a pond that will be ecologically balanced .'Pay me now or pay me later (and probably more)' is what should be remembered.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh please understand, I'm not trying to cut corners. I already did that when I built the pond. Lol I'm just exploring what options I have for the safe re-homing of my fish. Purchasing an above ground pool may not be an economical option given it's one time use. It may come down to that but I'm seeing what else is available to me.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe you could rent a pool? Maybe some of your neighbors with kids have kiddie pools that they could loan you? If you bought the liner from a pond store, maybe they would loan you a container? Just thoughts.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh please understand, I'm not trying to cut corners. I already did that when I built the pond. Lol I'm just exploring what options I have for the safe re-homing of my fish. Purchasing an above ground pool may not be an economical option given it's one time use. It may come down to that but I'm seeing what else is available to me.

Your fish will also fair better if kept in as much original pond water as possible.

Ask a Question