looking for advice- climbing plant

Reaction score
looking for advice the pic below is the far end of my pond and i wanted to put up a decent size lattice as the white siding is too much with the sun. looking for advice on what kind of climbing plant to wrap, anything but english ivy, also looking for a vine that does not die in the winter, but its not a requirement.

any advice would be great!

Attachments

• IMAG0654.jpg
    IMAG0654.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 327

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
clematis would look nice, it does die back though I don't know of any vine that stays green over winter.

Reaction score
if it's full sun, climbing roses would be pretty. If it's part sun, climbing hydranga. I have climbing roses in the front of my house, which are in planters and are surrounded by petunias and morning glorys.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Confederate Jasmine, or there's another climbing "Jasmine," that's not as aggressive. Stays green, grows fast, and smells wonderful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wouldn't do trumpet vine on your house, not if you want to keep your siding. At least that is what I've read. When you say die in winter do you mean you don't want to plant it every year because it isn't hardy or you want it to be an evergreen? If you just want it to come back each year then I would say Clematis too there are so many varieties there is bound to be one you'd love and they are not aggressive. Also I planted honeysuckle vine near my pond. It is not on my house though, and I am not sure if it could potentially be problematic in that area. This is the first year for mine so not very big yet, but I hear they are very very fragrant, and I remember as a kid when had one at our house and you could chew on the ends of the flowers and they tasted really sweet......

Reaction score
Agreed with not using a trumpet vine and another vote for Clematis. Whats your gardening zone? I believe the Montana variety of Clematis are or can be evergreen, but get quite big (20'-30'). They require warmer zone. Philadelphia looks like it might be zone 7 and you could grow them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I assumed you meant "evergreen." if not, then I change my vote to clematis, also. While at first, you might think they're delicate & fussy, they're actually a tough little plant. I have a few that prefer to ground-creep rather that grow on a trellis, though. And the first year they won't do a lot of growing, but after that, watch out (though not invasive)! Oh, and the stems are bad about snapping, so use care if you try to manipulate them to conform to a trellis. There's more to their care, but I tend to leave mine alone (except pruning), and have had many surprises when I've thought I killed a plant. I'll go a season thinking it's dead, plant another variety there (I don't keep up with them - just buy what I see), and in a year or so the "dead" one will reappear along with the new one.

But the Jasmines are nice, too. Bees LOVE 'em - and they smell SO good!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought I lost my clematis, when my dads dog dug them up, they came back, this is their 3 rd summer, covered with blooms.
Honeysuckle will vine under siding and roofs, so be careful with it, pretty aggressive, once it gets going, we have it vining up huge trees, with poison ivy, so it gets to go where it wants. Luckily out in the back field.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you do get a Clematis make sure you have some cover in front of the roots as they don't like the hot sun beating down on the earth above where their roots are growing. You can just plant something low growing in front of them to provide the roots some shade. Also certain varieties can be pruned way down in early Spring but other varieties need to keep their stems from last year as they grow blooms on the old growth. Sometimes that variety can get quite unruly w/ their tattered looking branches all scrambled up together after a few yrs. I personally like the kind that you can cut down in the Spring and it will grow really fast and make all kinds of new vines and blooms. But then you are stuck w/ a blank wall where you wanted a vine to cover all year. Also I would suggest the Climbing Hydrangea as it does lose it's leaves in fall but the sprawling branches are nice to look at too. It's a beautiful plant and I have one on a trellis by my back deck. Here's a picture of mine and also a link on them:

NONAME39.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

http://www.waysidega...rangea/p/46965/

Reaction score
clematis and honeysuckle are good plants and if you don't stay on top they are pretty easy to prune. hydrangea is a slow grower i think and trumpet vine is not that invasive but you do get seed pods so that may be an issue

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love hydrangea's but have never seen the climbing variety sold around here. I have bunches of the shrubby kind (mixed varieties).

And as JW said about clemmies, the saying is "cold feet / hot heads."

Ask a Question