looking for advice- climbing plant

Reaction score
thanks everyone i may go with clematis, my neighbor said there are varieties that flower throughout the summer, any suggestions on which kind.

yes that corner gets a very hot afternoon pennsylvania sun

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
MICA - I have lots of clemmies, but not an expert. I impulse-buy most of mine. I do know there are some that tolerate full exposure better than others. And there are differences among the overall size of the plant and its growth habit: some grow tall, some are just right for a trellis, and some grow short & squatty. I have a few that prefer to ground-creep rather that use a trellis. Then, as mentioned earlier, they are categorized buy different "pruning seasons." But I'm lazy so mine all get pruned at the same time :)

They come in soooo many varieties & colors to choose from. I like the ones with the largest blooms (though I think the "bloom" is a modified sepal and not the flower ....?). Might want to choose the characteristics you want (include your planting zone) and plug that into a GOOGLE search.

And don't know if this was mentioned, but after the "blooms" die off, they leave these attractive little seed puffs. So it's almost like 2 plants in 1.

Let us know what you end up with!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I too must vote for Clematis, If you can grow them in your zone they won't dissapoint you. The spot you show in the pic really jumps out as a first thought. Another climbing vine I really like is the Coral vine. My neighbor had one and I really loved it. I haven't seen one available yet at a nursery here but I assure you that I will get one sooner or later.

Reaction score
t-mommy great points ass i have had mixed success with clematis some don't like full sun and some bushy etc.. good thing is mica you can change out if one doesn't perform as well as you'd like it to since they are relatively cheap for a small plant

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in full sun, doing good, I put a ton of mulch on the roots though to keep them cooler

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Got this miniature variety that only gets about 5ft tall by the side of my pond that is just starting to bloom now. It would prolly be too short for that wall of your house but it sure gets the prettiest lavender blooms each year! I cut it down to about 6" from the ground in very early Spring.

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

Reaction score
I've found some varieties of Clematis don't like full sun but some do. Be careful though if you do go that way they can quite bushy!

Reaction score
Wisteria. Beautiful grape cluster like flowers and will climb anything.

But it is a powerful plant we grew one over our gazebo and it is all I can do to trim it back..

Reaction score
Honey Suckle is a great one .. the smell is unreal .. i love it .. I have 2 different varieties on one trellis and they are doing good and they love full sun ... and the humming birds just love em ..

Marion

Ask a Question