Mr. Green Heron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would love to net the pond, unfortunately there are no nets on the island right now, so I have to order one off Amazon, which will take about a month to get here. :(
Oh no. One of my neighbors said it was too expensive to net his pond surface. He bought plain rope and rigged it up in squares across his pond. Maybe this is worth a try till the net arrives?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We use "scarecrow" motion detecting sprinklers to keep herons and raccoons away. They blast on for 3-5 seconds when sensing a moving heat source. We lost one koi to a raccoon and one to a blue heron before the sprinklers. Herons, obviously, don't mind getting wet but the sound and motion scare them off. I've witnessed them in action with both herons and raccoons and they really do the job.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Priscilla so sorry you lost your nice fish and try the rope, twine or fish line thing maybe tying sparkly things like cd's or mylar strips etc. on them while you wait for the net. It might help. Colleen here uses that above her ponds and she says it works great for her.

Reaction score
Yup, the sunny Cayman Islands. Man it is hot here today!

My husband and Dad spent an hour this morning stringing up some fishing line.

Hopefully that will deter him. When I put the first batch of line up he stopped coming. Then he worked a way around it. We will see how it goes this time.

Reaction score
maybe I could ship it in 1/2 the time?

That's so sweet of you to offer to help. I'm making a large Amazon order - that's the only way shipping stuff is economical.

I think the fishing line is holding him off for now. He was back today, but just stood in the distance looking for a way in - crafty bugger!

Ask a Question