Green Heron and my net

Reaction score
he showed up again today. Walked around on the net, we chased him off a few times. I'm feeling elated! Very happy with the net! He really put a serious dent in my red platy population.

Well, mostly happy with the net.

I had to go with a really fine weave because I was having problems with snakes and iguanas getting tangled in the wider weave. Today I saw a gorgeous dragon fly trying to get through and couldn't. Made me sad. But I gotta look out for my fish!

After much thought and discussion with the hubby, I am going to put the net up high as was suggested by a few people on here. I'm worried it won't look as nice, but with me needing regular access to the pond and a determined heron, raising the net is my only option.

Reaction score
Well... not your only option. :D
crossman.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After much thought and discussion with the hubby, I am going to put the net up high as was suggested by a few people on here. I'm worried it won't look as nice, but with me needing regular access to the pond and a determined heron, raising the net is my only option.
Surely, with all of us here and our collective creativity, there is a way to do the netting so that it looks attractive. I would like to come up with a sort of pergola frame to hang the netting from. But nothing as massive as a traditional pergola.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
TM that would be my 1st choice of doing it. Make a pergola. Mine is ok w/it the way it is tho, doesn't really bother me. If I did dig another pond someday I would do the pergola. Does anyone here have one over their pond? I don't think so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ah, well, yeah, someone does...me. Though, it's not a pergola per se but a 'pond house' as I like to call it. I did this mainly to keep the mosquitoes away so I can enjoy the pond, but it's come in handy as a heron/racoon/owl/hawk/snake repellent, too! Don't mind the curvature of the first pic as I was playing around with my fisheye lens...you get the idea; a screen enclosed pond using wood members for roof and wall.
Current season pic below, and one from the original build 3 years ago...

Michael

14535121640_46e6905202_b.jpg

13607357703_4d94cc768b_b.jpg

Reaction score
WOWZA!!!!! Love that!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome set up!!!!! Unfortunately I can't do something like that where my pond is located.

Love the inside. What a great place to read a book.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the kind words, Priscilla; it is! Now, you may not be able to do the wood, but you could string the net others are using from 'posts' in the corners. Sort of a lite version, if you can manage to get someone to set up the corners and any possible cross members needed, perhaps from re-rod or aluminum frame materials. Sort of depends on how large the area is. For me, the idea would be to get the net up high enough, set it up wide enough, and give yourself an entry 'door' someplace (like an overlap of the net in this place) so you can easily go in and out. Wouldn't cost that much, imo; just need to be able to set up the stakes/posts. You already have the net...

Michael

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah yes now I remember your lovely setup Michael! That is to die for and I would have done something like that too if I hadn't already built my pond right in front of the front porch. Keeps leaves out too. If one does not need the small screen to keep out skeeters one could use large weaved netting to allow smaller birds,frogs and dragonflies into the pond area also. That lower fence could be left un-netted also and the slats could be just close enough to keep the heron birds, raccoons, cats(my cats don't bother my pond so I'd let them fit through), whatever out. You could also leave the top just slatted so big birds could not fly in and put no net/screen on top. Boy am I planning and dreaming and wishing right now.................one can wish can't one?

Reaction score
Tell me about!!! How I wish I had realized what this pond would mean to our family. Its such a gathering spot! I would put it in another location and how I wish I had put it some place that I could build a structure around it to keep the stinky iguanas OUT! I hate those things so much. At least they don't eat the fish, but man to they poop in the pond!

If I ever build another pond, I'm taking notes on what I need to do different and what to upgrade!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
TM that would be my 1st choice of doing it. Make a pergola. Mine is ok w/it the way it is tho, doesn't really bother me. If I did dig another pond someday I would do the pergola. Does anyone here have one over their pond? I don't think so.
I built a pergola over the pond a year and a half back, mainly to keep the kingfishers from taking my goldfish. I suspend the net about 3 1/2' above the water, and let the sides hang down to deter herons. It works! Thought I'd lost most of the fish while on vacation, but after they revived from the shock and started feeding again, I realized that none were missing!! Have to see if I can post a picture.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well what are you waiting for......................post up the pic Haro, we want to see :D

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Waiting for my technical assistant to help me download the pics from my camera! I am digitally challenged! :confused:
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well your assistant must not be too swift either cuz it's been over an hour now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
brokensword, That is a beautiful set up you have built around and over your pond. How does it do with snow, do you have to be careful of the snow's weight on your screens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tula: well, thanks! Since building it, I admit that coming home from work and weekends have taken on a more enviable meaning! We enjoy it a lot. For the snow, I have the top screen(top is fiberglass) sewn as one large 20' x 20' piece laying over my lattice, which is rolled up at Autumn's end and unrolled as Spring starts. Not the easiest as I have to work both sides when rolling so it doesn't lap unevenly, but still manageable. So the snow just falls inside and helps insulate after the ice forms.

j.w.: I think you SHOULD dream. Can't give you that much idle time...no tellin' how much trouble you could get yourself into. You and addy. ;)

And no problem with frogs as I had 3 stowaways so far and thus, they DID find their way in! Even had a crayfish sneak past, hitchin' on a store bought plant. Got quite large before I fished him out, fearful he'd grab unwary fish, though with more research, I found it would have been okay to leave him. And I get dragonflies too; I think they come in before the top is unrolled and lay their eggs. Have had damselflies each year as well.
Skeeters? Only had a pair this summer and they didn't last long...if you get my drift.

And another vote to audit Haro's assistant; it's been far too long for us impatient people...

Michael

Ask a Question