Mr. Green Heron

Reaction score
This morning I was sitting quietly at the pond with my coffee and guess who flies up? That's right, Mr Heron! Mr. Green Heron to be exact. He didn't see me and proceeded to eat two little platys (which I am fine with because I have hundreds now), it was quite the moment, we were there side by side and I was fascinated. Then he looked over as I tried to get a picture and was startled! Flew off. But a neat few seconds.

I wish we could live with some agreement that he can feast on the platys, BUT NOT the koi.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cool unexpected encounter story, Priscilla. Keep your eyes peeled for your new feathered friend's return. We had one return over and over until I set up a couple Scarecrow sprinklers to shoo away would-be fish thieves.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We get a lot of Great Blue and Green Herons around here but I have been lucky none have stopped at my pond. A lot of raccoons and cats too but so far my fish have been lucky.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat you got to see him but you may not think it is so neat after they do see your other fish and start offing them too. They will not stop till they clean you out even if you write them up a menu on what is allowed and what is not :)

Reaction score
Neat you got to see him but you may not think it is so neat after they do see your other fish and start offing them too. They will not stop till they clean you out even if you write them up a menu on what is allowed and what is not :)

I know :( He already cleaned me out some time back - 11 fantails in one stop.

I plan to net the pond, but just haven't gotten around to it yet - big mistake I'm sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
There is only one answer to the heron. Behold the CPS 2000!!! The most powerful water gun ever made! Banned in 12 states!! Its killed 3 children!

iS_supersoaker_cps2000_01.jpg

(ok not really but its super strong) :D

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There is only one answer to the heron. Behold the CPS 2000!!! The most powerful water gun ever made! Banned in 12 states!! Its killed 3 children!

iS_supersoaker_cps2000_01.jpg

(ok not really but its super strong) :D
Does CPS stand for Corporal Punishment Sprayer or Child Protective Services? Is the CPS 2000 for punishment or protection...or both? o_O

Reaction score
Okay, the green heron is evil! He is not neat to watch any more. I hate him, and he hates me. I throw rocks at him, but he knows I'll never hit him, so he just laughs at me. He is my nemesis! He's just eaten a $20 koi that I loved. Bastard! UGHHHHHHH!!!!

I had to stay out there drinking wine all night to protect my fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh no! Has he finished off the platys and moved on to your koi? Can you net the pond? I've heard they just won't stop till they've eaten them all:( My neighbor is battling one too....they've lost about 6 prized koi.

Reaction score
Oh no! Has he finished off the platys and moved on to your koi? Can you net the pond? I've heard they just won't stop till they've eaten them all:( My neighbor is battling one too....they've lost about 6 prized koi.

I would love to net the pond, unfortunately there are no nets on the island right now, so I have to order one off Amazon, which will take about a month to get here. :(

Ask a Question