My basement pond project

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
jameskoi said:
Here's my new stock for today.

I didn't end up buying the yellow/gold. It's a pretty solid colour. But I ended up buying a solid white. Sorry for the lack of better names.

But here's the best Kohaku I've seen since I started hunting for koi.

All these guys are about 6".

1. Tancho Sanke
2. Platinum Ogon
3. Kohaku
Nice score! How much were they?

Reaction score
Thanks! I bought them at my LFS 3 for $50CDN or it would have been $20 each. I just measured my blue bowl. It's actually 6". These guys are longer than 6".

I'm going to buy the barrels and wood tomorrow... and maybe the scrubby pads... I gave the ones a bought a good soaking and cleaning. While squeezing them and bouncing them up and down in the water... it did created some bubbles, like soapy water surface. Giving them a third bath and over night soaking. It's not as bad anymore. Not sure what it's giving off, but I can't imagine it being toxic. These pads are meant for scrubbing pots and pans.

Reaction score
I went to this place that sells 55G blue barrels, but the guy didn't know what was stored in there to begin with and he said he wouldn't take a chance either with fish.

I wanted 'em quick so he told me to try out his reference. It's a food processing plant near by and they had 6 blue barrels, talked to someone that lived on the property and he said take it all if you want. Same ones DrCase used (will have to cut the top off). I wanted to take my share and give that store the rest, but my wagon can only hold 4 barrels. Still, what a score!

Anyway, I found different scrubby pads at the dollar store. 15 for $1 and in different colours. Does not make the water bubbly after first wash. They look exactly the same as the first ones I bought, however if look closely, the colour is mixed into the fibers. The first ones I bought wasn't. It's sorta stuck onto clear fiber. I'm gonna scrap the first 5 bags and stick with these ones. The first bags I bought also had a 'clean' smell. After 3rd bath, it still has this 'clean' smell. Weird... on top of all things, the original ones I bought are made in Canada, these ones are made in China. LOL!

I've done a bunch of DIY stuff in the past with fish. Always little paranoid when it comes to finding products that goes in the water. These barrels are basically new and originally had sodium lactate in it.

Bought all the wood today too. I'm ready to build. Will start taking pictures soon (i hope my cameras don't run out of batteries). My chargers are MIA. I know, this thread is useless without pics. LOL!

Reaction score
Here are the pics. Pretty self explanatory...

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 542
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 591
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 606
  • pond4.jpg
    pond4.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 776
  • pond5.jpg
    pond5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 515
Reaction score
Thanks.

Ordered Pondmaster AP-60 air pump, bulkheads and accessories.

Now need to buy 2" black ABS (or PVC) pipes. I guess the type doesn't matter for me. Going indoors anyway.

Reaction score
As for the filter system. Three 55G barrels. 1st one will be mechanical, 2nd and 3rd filled with scrubby pads. I don't think i need the 3rd barrel yet, but i'll hook it up anyway. I'm just going to buy $100 worth of scrubby pads, and if it fills up the first barrel, i'll dump the rest into the 3rd.

Reaction score
Alright... last pic - water depth is around 3ft 3". Almost 1650G.

Lengthwise bow at the bottom 2x6 is about 2cm. Width bow is unnoticeable. Top bow, zero.

I tried out the tram seio pumps (aka Rio). They suck in all aspects. I thought about giving rio another try. Good thing they were on sale. No way would i pay full price for these. Always had bad luck with them. I'm never buying them again. I'll still use them for now but ultimately, they'll end up as back up power heads and for mixing salt. I'm planning to pump lots of air on one side of the pond. A 42" bubble wall and lots of air stones. That should compensate for these sucky pumps. I think they lied on the GPH rating.

The Eheim 900GPH is a beast. Stuck the thing way at the bottom pointing parallel to the floor and it was able stir up the surface of entire pond.

Not even sure if I'm going to panel the sides. The 2x6s make good shelves. I think i'm going to leave the top alone too. It's an unfinished basement, i guess i'll stick with the theme for now - but who knows, i may change my mind. Maybe make sliding side panels and trim the top with stained pine or whatever.

Attachments

• pond6.jpg
    pond6.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 554
  • pond7.jpg
    pond7.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 508
  • pond9.jpg
    pond9.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 499
  • pond10.jpg
    pond10.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 564
Reaction score
c2c7390 said:
the styro is a good idea...i wish taht i used some sort of insulation

I did it in case I may need to heat the pond. Basement water temp for my unheated tanks hovers around 68-69 during the winter. For sure over 70F in the summer. For sure, I would have at least insult the bottom since I don't want the concrete to leach the warmth out of the water.

Currently, water from tap is a bone chilling 38F. I wonder how long it'll take to warm up to room temp. 2 weeks? LOL

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I like the way you folded the liner. What did you use to bond the joints? Did you take pictures of the bonding process?

Ask a Question