Need help identifying algae! Please!

I have something strange going on here in Portland in my 800 gallon water feature. It is this strange algae that grows on everything like a brown rubber. I do not know how to killl it and need help. It traps bubbles under it while growing.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Another clue that this is not any specie of algae is the fact that it is colorless. Algae contains chloroplasts which contain Chlorophyll a, which we all know is green. Algae may rarely be red, brown or black, but never colorless.
There is also the outside chance that there are elevated levels of one or more Heavy Metal.
If this is indeed bacterial, a low Dissolved Oxygen level would be expected.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It looks to me like the color of the underlying rock showing through. Only @cody can give a true naked eye assessment of any color.
Really can not know for sure what this truly is without a microscope.
What ever it is, the triggering substance needs to be identified.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
peroxide and let it sit and turn off pump while doing this wait 15 to 20 minutes and turn pump back on clean off loose stuff with a toilet bowl brush .
im just saying, this is your best and safest route.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What components are you running for filtration?
It looks like stuff I've seen in ponds that use a pond ionizer.
I am using a copper ionizer that I started not long before the algae appeared now that you mention it! I had a slight string algae issue that the copper ionizer took care of right away. I have tried to let this cycle itself out but after 6 months of no change, I began to think it was never going to happen and begun to drain/kill/refill

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Were these photos taken before or after this growth had been treated?
Thank you for your effort in helping me with this issue Meyer, I can tell that you are very keen on these matters.
These photos were taken prior to any recent treatment. It is not an entirely clear blanket of growth, it does have a bit of light tannish color in it. What would you do to address this situation? I have it completely cleaned out and dry at the moment. thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Another clue that this is not any specie of algae is the fact that it is colorless. Algae contains chloroplasts which contain Chlorophyll a, which we all know is green. Algae may rarely be red, brown or black, but never colorless.
There is also the outside chance that there are elevated levels of one or more Heavy Metal.
If this is indeed bacterial, a low Dissolved Oxygen level would be expected.
The reason I am nearly certain that this bacterial is due to the fact that once I apply peroxide, the peroxide begins to sizzle like crazy. Another reason is that any algae killer product does nothing to this stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Basically the same as for algae. Identify the Carbon source and either remove it or limit it.
Since this problem only began last year after many years of no issues begs the question- What was done differently two (2) years ago that would trigger this issue be it algae or bacterial?
Changes over the last 2 years are adding a copper ionizer that killed off all string algae and gathering plants from local ponds and planting them into the feature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@bagsmom - he says he has no fish.

One thing to consider is that the more you kill off the algae, the more you add to the nutrients in the pond that are feeding the algae. And when you drain the water and start over you are literally starting over. Any good bacteria in your pond water is gone. You may just be in a bad cycle of dying and growing and dying and growing, if that makes sense. Maybe you just need to let things take care of themselves.

I'm not all that familiar with how a pond works without fish - do you have to fertilize your plants to keep them growing?
I have another pond on my property that has pristine water with no issues. Do you think I should try filling up my problematic pond with this water after a drain and clean? I do not fertilize my plants, they are growing in a volcanic crushed rock that provides them with all the nutrients they need. It is called caribsea eco and it is commonly used in fish tanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for your effort in helping me with this issue Meyer, I can tell that you are very keen on these matters.
These photos were taken prior to any recent treatment. It is not an entirely clear blanket of growth, it does have a bit of light tannish color in it. What would you do to address this situation? I have it completely cleaned out and dry at the moment. thanks

That should correct the problem as you will have removed any nutrient source for both dinoflagellates or bacteria.
Next step, permanently retire the ionizer!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That should correct the problem as you will have removed any nutrient source for both dinoflagellates or bacteria.
Next step, permanently retire the ionizer!
I will try this. What do you see as the problem with the copper ionizer? thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Great to hear back from you cody.
I'm interested in hearing how your pond develops after the ionizer is taken off line.
Are you also running a UV clarifier?
Any chemical treatments or activated carbon in the filter system?

Ask a Question