New here but 'old hand' at Ponding!

Reaction score
I've had ponds before in England but we've lived in Spain since the start of 2000. Retired now, I'm 77.
Almost as soon as we arrived I decided on a BIG (for me) pond, oval(ish), about 7m x 4m, depth 1.5m at 'deep end' to 60cm at shallow. It has a pebble beach on wide shelf at shallow end. Other shelves all round.
At the last rough estimate there are about 300+ mixed (VERY mixed) interbred golds, fantails shubunkin etc some up to 30cm long.
I added a reed-bed filter about 5 years ago,supplied by pump located at bottom of the deep end - seems to work well and keeps water reasonably clear barring times of sudden change to hotter weather when algae blooms.
This is a truly Temperate area, Summer max usually not more that 38-39 deg C, winter no lower than (what the locals regard as Arctic conditions), minimum never lower than 2-3 deg C.
Have lots of photos and am happy to post them if anyone's interested

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
spider.gif
Ray! Post away we love pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ray, Welcome to our little group of garden pond fanatics (GPF). Our daughter did study abroad in Madrid last year. We visited her there while she was there. It was our second time there and we have really enjoyed all our visits there. At the time we were there Athetico Madrid fans were going crazy because they won the title.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome from Plymouth in the UK Ray , where do you originally hale from in the UK , we are 27-8 years koi keeping and are in our late 50's and would love to see some photos of your pond

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who posted such friendly welcomes!
I certainly will post lots of photos, I've some covering every stage of construction and 'the finished product'.
There will be some delay as all the photos are on an external HDD with which I'm having some major problems!
Watch this space!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yep pics are always loved by fellow ponders .We love to get ideas from them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Where in the UK did you live prior to going to Spain Ray , speaking of Spain I used to work in Northern Spain way back in the middle 80's until ill health forced a stop to it we worked out of Vigo

Dave

Ask a Question