new plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I bought 4 new aquatic plants from a water gardening/aquatic store. They were all in pots. My new pond in 8 x 10 and is 2 1/2' deep on the center. It has a 12" shelf about 10" deep . The shallow plants definitely don't look good sitting in pots that are easily visible. The deep plant looks fine. What can I do with the shallow plants?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Depends on what type of plants you bought. Many marginal plants can just be removed from their pots and wedged between rocks at the ponds edge. Don’t have any of my plants in pots except for some water lilies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
giant penny wart and one that looks like four leaf clover (not sure of name). The shallow plant pots are 10" but the rocks around the shelf are only about 2" deep. Can I remove the plants from the pots, safely remove about 5" of soil and roots from the bottom then plant between rocks on shelf

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Penny wort can definitely be stuck between rocks bare root, as long as the roots are wet it will do fine. Hard to say on four leaf clover there is one kind that you could plant the same as penny wort, the other kind floats on the water like a mini lily pad but looks like clover. It does Grow by runners so it might make it in 2” of water in your rock edge, I tend to just try things with my plants if it doesnt grow in a spot then I don’t put it there again. Most plants can be planted bare root in your pond as they pull nutrients from the water not the soil. Just know your plants as some get large root systems that are a pita to cut back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
If you plant pennywort you will NEVER be able to eradicate it. It is very invasive so be careful with that one. It should come with a hazard warning. The best I can do is thin it out every year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you plant pennywort you will NEVER be able to eradicate it. It is very invasive so be careful with that one. It should come with a hazard warning. The best I can do is thin it out every year
does your pennywort overwinter? I tried that and it all died, hence I've taken some in each year to overwinter inside. I'm in zone 5b, should be similar to NY's zone, no? I'd actually be glad to let some stay out all winter and thin as necessary as overwintering tends to make it very leggy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
thanks. It's still in the pot. I think I'll keep it there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
does your pennywort overwinter? I tried that and it all died, hence I've taken some in each year to overwinter inside. I'm in zone 5b, should be similar to NY's zone, no? I'd actually be glad to let some stay out all winter and thin as necessary as overwintering tends to make it very leggy.
Yes it does. We are in the same zone. This plant spreads by runners and any gardener will tell you runners are virtually impossible to control. Pennywort will grow into and over other plants. Any little piece you miss will grow into a new plant. It’s a nightmare for me. I’m so sorry I didn’t investigate pennywort before I planted it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Burn it and run for your life. If you have a place you want to fill in fast and don’t care, it’s very good at that!
I removed the plant (still in the pot) as soon as I read your post. It was doing well so I took it to the water gardening store where I purchased it. Luckily, they let me exchange it for a dwarf umbrella plant. Thanks again for the advice!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed while it sis an attractive plant it like to send out runners and they are fairly deep or ride as \deep as they can get break off one tiny piece of root and the plant will never go away

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I had it in one small pond many years ago, saw how it was growing pulled and tossed right away. Put in the sun so nothing would live.
Whew! it never came back

Ask a Question