Nosey Government

What would you do in this situation?

• Sacrifice everything and remove it from the yard prior to the court date?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a beautiful setup in my yard. I had 2,000 flowering iris plants, two wooden bridges, which I made and were sturdy and beautiful, numerous fruit trees, and garden decorations. The (sh*tty) City of Phoenix is on a crusade and they are abating back yards against owners complaints. They abated my yard, and not it is totally BARE! How can we protect our yards, and lives from these criminals unless more people speak out against them and fight the abatements. My garden was a wildlife sanctuary (registered) and they destroyed it. I had turned my pool into a thriving fish pond and the County said that it was "in compliance". Then, the city came along and made me drain it and get rid of the fish. Isn't there some way to modify the laws to make the city and county agree on this type of thing? We put a lot of money and effort into our yards and it is pitiful that the city can come along and force us to change everything just to make money on fines! After abating over $50,000 of patio equipment, garden decorations, bricks, tools, and storage shed (which was also in compliance!), the city sent me a bill for over $7,500.00! We need to put a stop to this. The city prosecutor was laughing (in court) that she did over 1300 abatements in the first three months of the year. This is nothing than a money making proceedure for the city, as well as a move for career advancement. By the way, where did the items go that they took away?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They said Phoenix az. I lived there never heard of that happening.

Reaction score
According to this city of Phoenix Neighborhood Code Compliance flowchart you should still have 3 trees in your backyard.
103126.jpg

https://www.phoenix.gov/nsd/programs/compliance

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Me thinks there's more to this situation.....
Phoenix City Code Chapter 39, Sec. 39-7D
Property owners are responsible for keeping their properties, and the adjacent rights of way, free of dead or dried vegetation (weeds, tall grass, tumbleweeds, shrubs, trees, palm fronds, etc). All dead or dried vegetation must be removed and disposed of properly. Property owners are also responsible for assuring that grass and weeds on their property and in the adjacent rights of way do not exceed six inches in height.

This is very similar to our local code. Landscaping is exempt as long as it is maintained (keyword).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Phoenix City Code Chapter 39, Sec. 39-7D
Property owners are responsible for keeping their properties, and the adjacent rights of way, free of dead or dried vegetation (weeds, tall grass, tumbleweeds, shrubs, trees, palm fronds, etc). All dead or dried vegetation must be removed and disposed of properly. Property owners are also responsible for assuring that grass and weeds on their property and in the adjacent rights of way do not exceed six inches in height.

This is very similar to our local code. Landscaping is exempt as long as it is maintained (keyword).
So....... How does this fit in with the OP's note? Would this have happened the way it is stated?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a pool, had a pond, have around 20+ trees, untold number of bushes, flowers, patio furniture, etc never had a inspector come by. Every house I had there has a pond plants trees, in 40 some years never an issue.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Code enforcement officers normally respond to complaints from neighbors. Few municipalities have the resources to hire enough true inspectors.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For sure, there must have been complaints about something

Ask a Question