Other pond critters?

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the advice you gave to help me get my pond clearer. The water changes and the second filter I got going for it are helping a lot.

Here go my next couple of questions:

When I first started to work on this pond, I read that you don't want bullfrogs in it because they will eat goldfish. Is this true? I did fish out at least six dead frogs when I started cleaning the pond and there are about 20 or so fish in there, so they clearly didn't eat ALL of them, but should I be worried about this?

Secondly, yesterday I noticed a small brown snake on my floating filter. The picture isn't great, but you can see it in my avatar. A friend said it looked like a brown water snake. Should I be concerned that this guy is going to eat my fish?

Finally, this morning I noticed several fish chasing another one around and bumping into its belly. Is this spawning? If so the most popular female fish would be the one I lovingly nicknamed "Steve," and the most aggressive suitor is the one I've been calling "Rosie."

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I read that you don't want bullfrogs in it because they will eat goldfish. Is this true? should I be worried about this?

Secondly, yesterday I noticed a small brown snake on my floating filter.Should I be concerned that this guy is going to eat my fish?

I've heard some say Bull Frogs eat fish too, but I had two Bullfrogs last year and all my fish are fine, including the baby fish that was living in a shallow stream. I suppose its possible, but its one of those things I wouldn't worry about unless it happened.

I don't know the type of snake that is, but many snakes will hunt fish. I ask that if you have any issues with it, don't kill it. Some species of snakes are illegal to kill due to low or declining populations. Others that aren't on that list should still be left alive so their species can live on in the future. If at all possible, catch it and relocate to a natural pond.

I don't have much experience about fish mating but that definitely sounds like that's what your fish are doing, I'll let someone else weigh in on that.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've seen bullfrogs eat fish, I've also seen garter snakes eat fish. Water snakes definitely eat fish.

As far as I'm concerned, if they can catch 'em, they can eat 'em.

I mean, really, what are you going to do about it?

That's the circle of life, Pumba.

(I don't do snakes)

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Fear not, so long as the snake doesn't try to share my pillow, I will not attempt any kind of bodily harm to it. Catching and relocating it is probably not going to happen because I will die of a heart attack first. We live in the mountains and there might be some protected species here, but we're certainly not hurting population-wise. They're everywhere!

I won't worry about the frogs and I don't know what I'd do to prevent it, I just didn't know if I should expect my fish population to diminish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
bull frogs can also hug a fish to death .I have not seen it myself but over the years i have heard comments about it .My koi kill frogs and suck there insides out and I get the task of scooping up what is left :(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is a live and let live situation, the only thing that is removed from our yard is the ground hogs, live trap relocation

Reaction score
bull frogs can also hug a fish to death .I have not seen it myself but over the years i have heard comments about it .My koi kill frogs and suck there insides out and I get the task of scooping up what is left :(

GROSS!!!.....I really feel for you in those situations

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Think I'm glad I don't have any big bad bully frogs here at my pond. Only cute maybe at the most 3" or 4" sweet froggy's that wouldn't harm a fly.......................ha,ha,ha well maybe a fly

Reaction score
Think I'm glad I don't have any big bad bully frogs here at my pond. Only cute maybe at the most 3" or 4" sweet froggy's that wouldn't harm a fly.......................ha,ha,ha well maybe a fly

We also have adorable little frogies around....I wonder if they will come once the pond is built.....I wonder if I even want them to come living in a residential area and wanting to sleep....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can hear ours through closed doors but to me the sound is very restful...........once you get used to it lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get lots of frogs because there is a long creek that runs along side the road by my house and also one that runs behind my house in the gully

Reaction score
You will get them talal and you will learn to love it :D

I certainly hope so....I barely sleep in the summer anyways to be honest. Our summer is so limited here that I try and squeeze every minute out of it. There is even nights where I don't sleep at all just to be awake at sunrise. When I had my little pre-formed pond, I used to sneak out at 3-4 a.m when the sun was just up to go and sneak a peak at the fish....I was always amazed at how bright the color is and how healthy and clear the water was....it just didn't look as good during the day.

Ask a Question