Plants in cooler weather

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been reading through some old topics in the forum because I am exploring feeding my fish less this year to help with population control. One thing I read in several of the threads is that in spring when water temperatures started reaching 50 degrees, people noticed fish starting to nibble on plants. I am curious what kind of plants I could have growing when the water is only now up to 50 degrees. My flag iris planted in the bog is starting to grow but I don’t have fish there. I also have some water hawthorn that is active and starting to grow, and water cannas (Thalia) that hasn’t started to grow yet, but that is about it. I left the anacharis in over winter and I don’t really see any left - I wasn’t sure if it died and broke down, or if fish ate it. What perennial can I plant that would have some plant matter and life this time of year in the cool weather?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi are the plant destruction experts but their taste is more for roots over ruffage. Though the will devoir my watercress when I let some into the min pond. So far what I am experiencing is all plants can be invasive to a point. The big deal is how bad are the roots. Flag . Iris.cat and lilloes tails rush. Are mofos to pull out. While others like water cress and forget me nots obidient are easily removed once they start to take over.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi are the plant destruction experts but their taste is more for roots over ruffage. Though the will devoir my watercress when I let some into the min pond. So far what I am experiencing is all plants can be invasive to a point. The big deal is how bad are the roots. Flag . Iris.cat and lilloes tails rush. Are mofos to pull out. While others like water cress and forget me nots obidient are easily removed once they start to take over.
Is watercress already having growth in your pond at this point in spring. I definitely want to plant some watercress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everything with the exception of lilies has poked a head out. Now they will sit as such intill some heat hits them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Irises are certainly waking up now, mare's tail (hippuris vulgaris) is also currently waking up and regaining foliage. I mean pretty much every plant I have is starting to wake up, I actually put in a small Sweet flag I divided back in the summer in the bog, the thing's growing well even though its submerged and small.

For me though lilies have had their leaves on the bottom just waiting for the entire winter, but they are starting to rise a bit now.

Ask a Question