Pond and fish in rented house. Help needed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
In years past when I didn't run my pump to the falls or run my spouting fountain I ran just an aquarium pump to keep a hole open in the ice and it worked. I still have it running now even w/my falls and fountain. But we are in a pretty mild area that doesn't get long periods of freezing water. We get some but not a lot.
Here is a picture of just the aquarium pump running a small line into the water w/a stone on the end of the line:

Reaction score
I have 2 smallish Aquarium pumps that work just fine. It's not hard to push air. As Meyer noted, the fish will be fine with out an aerator. However, I do feel that getting the water moving would increase the dissolved oxygen level of the pond, which is good for pretty much everything in the pond.... Fish, plants, beneficial bacteria etc... Could even help clear the water a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since the pond has a surface area of 90 (6x15) sq ft it can support 1 fish very easily without any help. I use the calculation of 1 sq ft of surface per 1 inch of average size fish for a moderately aerated pond. Even though the pond isn't aerated it could support a number of fish without any help. I have 35-40 fish average 3 inches in a well aerated pond of 70 sq ft.

Ask a Question