Pond help. Needed

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi All..

I am. Need of some assistance.. I recently bought a house and it had a pond in the yard.. The pond was filled with sand... I removed all. The sand as I would like to get the pond going.. As it would be a shame as the pond is so beautiful.. After removing all the sand I found a big hole at the bottom.. I see that someone might have made that for drainage.. If there is anyone out there that can point me in the right direction on how to get the pond fixed. Not sure what material to use.. Etc.. Thank you very much

Attachments

• IMG-20201004-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20201004-WA0002.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 149

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

We have members that work with concrete give them time they will chime in to help you.

@GBBUDD is one that might have some good ideas.

I would think you could clean it well, get a good concrete patch that is a water proof, I don't work with concrete well enough to give good advice.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Welcome to our forum!

We have members that work with concrete give them time they will chime in to help you.

@GBBUDD is one that might have some good ideas.

I would think you could clean it well, get a good concrete patch that is a water proof, I don't work with concrete well enough to give good advice.
thank you very much

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
if you aren't dead set on concrete you could fill the hole in with sand so it is level on the bottom, and put a EPDM liner on top, but that would definitely take away some of the beauty of the formal pool. again, many here work with concrete so they will *Hopefully* chime in :)

And welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the show.

There might be a drain at the bottom of that blow out as i only see the one small copper pipe i cant image thats all they used, and the design is a bit fancy not to have one built in.. regardless the design is not that deep but again plenty deep for fish . I would take advance of the blow out. If you did down from outside say in the very front you can get down below and dig across to get a drain in there. ITS A BIT OF WORK AS IT NEEDS TO BE BIG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO GET IN THE HOLE. FROM THERE you can install a bottom drain designed to fit in Concrete. I would get a product from sika they have many modified concretes that can be waterproof and very strong and crack resistant. But i would not just infill the blowout. But I would pour 2 inches over the whole base. This will help to secure the concrete if its week in spots.
The other options I'd entertain is to design a decorative foot at the corners of the pond toward the back and let the pipes slip in the pond that way. Did down the blow out to 2 inches. Fill the bottom of the pond with 2 inches over the existing concrete and you ll have a good 4 inch pad at the blow out . Make sure to compact the soil as best you can. Once cured you can use a host of water proffers for the whole pond.
Or you can use rubber. Compact the blow out and fill with some concrete at least 4 inches thick
You can drill just at or above the water line and bring your inline source in that way while on the other side you can cut out the wall just big enough below the cocrete cap for a skimmer. Line the whole pond with rubber grommets to the supply line and secure flashing to the skimmer

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1601833001653.gif
@Naven
That will make a nice pond when you can figure out how to make it hold water.
Maybe the other owners put that break in the concrete for drainage and used it as a sandbox for the kids?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Q
Welcome to the show.

There might be a drain at the bottom of that blow out as i only see the one small copper pipe i cant image thats all they used, and the design is a bit fancy not to have one built in.. regardless the design is not that deep but again plenty deep for fish . I would take advance of the blow out. If you did down from outside say in the very front you can get down below and dig across to get a drain in there. ITS A BIT OF WORK AS IT NEEDS TO BE BIG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO GET IN THE HOLE. FROM THERE you can install a bottom drain designed to fit in Concrete. I would get a product from sika they have many modified concretes that can be waterproof and very strong and crack resistant. But i would not just infill the blowout. But I would pour 2 inches over the whole base. This will help to secure the concrete if its week in spots.
The other options I'd entertain is to design a decorative foot at the corners of the pond toward the back and let the pipes slip in the pond that way. Did down the blow out to 2 inches. Fill the bottom of the pond with 2 inches over the existing concrete and you ll have a good 4 inch pad at the blow out . Make sure to compact the soil as best you can. Once cured you can use a host of water proffers for the whole pond.
Or you can use rubber. Compact the blow out and fill with some concrete at least 4 inches thick
You can drill just at or above the water line and bring your inline source in that way while on the other side you can cut out the wall just big enough below the cocrete cap for a skimmer. Line the whole pond with rubber grommets to the supply line and secure flashing to the skimmer
Hi
Thank you for the reply... I was thinking of closing that hole and making a drainnage on the side by making a hole and using a pvc pipe of which I can close and open. When needed.. Not sure if I can do that... I would like to try and do this by myself. As a project.. Would like to put in. Fish once I am done.. With a pump and filter.. Not sure what filter and pump to use though

Ask a Question