j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here are some plants that I received from trading that are growing nicely now. We finally have some nice warm weather sticking around.

1. Floating Hearts 2. Money Wort 3. Water Primrose 4. Four Leaf Clover 5. Forget Me Nots

Attachments

• IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
They are all beautiful! I've been reading a lot on this forum and have gotten new ideas for trying to get rid of the green from my pond. I ordered 20 bunches each of Anacharis and Hornwart and 2 Mayla Water Lilies. They should be here tomorrow. I stopped overfeeding my Koi three days ago and I actually think it is helping already! Is that possible??? I'm feeding my 9 large Koi a small handful of food 1 or 2 times a day, instead of 6 large handfuls 1 or 2 times a day.... :redface:
I do have several water hyacinths, too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are all beautiful! I've been reading a lot on this forum and have gotten new ideas for trying to get rid of the green from my pond. I ordered 20 bunches each of Anacharis and Hornwart and 2 Mayla Water Lilies. They should be here tomorrow. I stopped overfeeding my Koi three days ago and I actually think it is helping already! Is that possible??? I'm feeding my 9 large Koi a small handful of food 1 or 2 times a day, instead of 6 large handfuls 1 or 2 times a day.... :redface:
I do have several water hyacinths, too.

Now you just have to figure out how to stop the koi from eating all the plants you just ordered! My goldfish love the Anacharis so I found some out in the wild and now have it in an outside tub to grow so hopefully I will have lots and then I can dole it out in the pond as needed to the piggies, lol!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks JW, I will wait and see if Addy chimes in on whether they will make it in her pond over winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks JW, I will wait and see if Addy chimes in on whether they will make it in her pond over winter.

tmann this is addy's first year for them also and she told me she was just going to wait and see if they make it or not thru her winters.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmm....I think I will try to put some of the Anacharis in the waterfall reservoirs. Do you think they will be okay in there?

You can stick it in any water and just let it grow. It does not have to be rooted. Just toss it in. Or you can weight it down w/ a rock so it stays where you want it or you can plant it in some gravel or soil. It's supposed to double in size in 2 wks but my fish eat it all up before that if I just toss it in my pond. It needs no fertilizer either.
Here's a link if you want more info:
http://garden.greggmastergardeners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=20

Reaction score
Thank you! I will probably put some in the waterfall and some sunk to the bottom of the pond...I hope they are hungry cause I have a LOT of algae for them to eat!!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you have a skimmer you will want to anchor them in the bottom of the pond otherwise they will end up in the skimmer. Mine did well until my fish population increased ever since then I have not had any luck at keeping them. Yes you should be able to put them in the waterfall reservoir.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Jw / tmann they are variegated snow flake lilies, not floating hearts, I bought them from a gal in oklahoma, zone 6b, so they should do fine in your pond over the winter. Will know next spring lol, Some of my leaves have broken off, sent out little root clusters, the roots collect muck, they settle to the bottom of the pond and start a new plant. So on the bottom of my pond 5 feet down have a bunch of new lilies growing, Letting them sit there to see what they end up doing.

Some sites say tropical, some say sort of hardy. So who knows, I will ask the gal I got them from see what she says.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks addy, sorry my mistake. Yep Variegated Snowflake Lilies (Nymphoides cristata) also called Crested Floating Heart............I looked it up and some say hardy to zone 7 (couldn't find as low as 6 anywhere) and some say 8 but also says you can scoop them out and put in your garage in a shallow pot to overwinter some in case your temps freeze them outdoors. I'm gonna leave some out in the pond and bring some into the garage. They go dormant either way and I don't want to lose them cuz they are so pretty!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks addy, sorry my mistake. Yep Variegated Snowflake Lilies (Nymphoides cristata) also called Crested Floating Heart............I looked it up and some say hardy to zone 7 (couldn't find as low as 6 anywhere) and some say 8 but also says you can scoop them out and put in your garage in a shallow pot to overwinter some in case your temps freeze them outdoors. I'm gonna leave some out in the pond and bring some into the garage. They go dormant either way and I don't want to lose them cuz they are so pretty!

JW We will forgive you this time but don't let it happen again. :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing , we will forgive her.................. the gal i bought them from said they have survived her winters, but she puts some in a unheated green house over winter just in case. So I think the ones that have sunk to the bottom of the pond will stay there, some in the pots will stay there, and a few I will bring in just in case.

Ask a Question