Ponds are so cool

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I’m Mipada. We moved into our house 28 years ago and put in a Koi pond. It’s 13’ x 7’ x 2.5’ with a 4’ cascading waterfall. It has a typical pool filtering system (that isn’t getting rid of the algae). We have about 10 Koi and two female turtles. We had another turtle but… he kept making more and we had to get rid of him. I had trouble giving them away. I didn’t want to give someone a turtle and have them put it in a fishbowl with a desk lamp over it for warmth.

I’m here because my attempts to add a bog filter have failed (or currently is limping along). I’m also racing our ‘pond guy’ who keeps changing the sand in the filter and adds chemicals to control the algae. In L. A., CA, we get lots of sun and nothing is working controlling the algae.

Pond1.jpg
IMG_7758.jpg
Baby Turtle .jpg
Bog number 2.jpg

Attachments

• Bog number 2.jpg
    Bog number 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
from the limited amount i can see in the photo . im not seeing any intense algae could it be you expect to see no algae and the peach fuzz algae thats in all ponds is what you may have maybe a little more? common to have hair algae in fast flowing water/ ie the water fall . how is the clarity of the water

Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Mipada. Looks like a couple of sliders?

Reaction score
Country
United States
from the limited amount i can see in the photo . im not seeing any intense algae could it be you expect to see no algae and the peach fuzz algae thats in all ponds is what you may have maybe a little more? common to have hair algae in fast flowing water/ ie the water fall . how is the clarity of the water
I just choose other pictures that didn’t show how bad it is. Maybe this one is better. If not, tomorrow, or after our rainstorm, I’ll get a better one.
Here, you can hardly see the fish a foot down. Also, I’m going to post a new post in another thread, but, my dogs wanted dinner (and treat).
Amy and Lightning
IMG_2456.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8220.jpeg
    IMG_8220.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Mipada. Looks like a couple of sliders?
They sure are. And, I think, they’ve very happy in there home. The girls get out and find a spot to dig a hole and lay their eggs. Forty days later, hatchlings.
The gardener found the first one in the front yard. He way overshot. Some we find in the pond but they have to be pulled out. The parents kill them. They protect their space. Some we find in the grass.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Turtles are poop machines and can generate a lot of waste. vacuuming is one way to help remove the waste. Circulation is also key but with turtles it cant be too strong. A bog can certainly do the job if done right, and sized properly but for turtles it would be 50% i would think. I am not a turtle keeper but maybe @Jhn can help out with his view. I do know he does settling chambers i believe he had two containers the same size as the habitat loaded with aquatic plants.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif
@Mipada
Nice looking pond and love your dogs and turtles! Burmese are the best! So pretty and always smiling!
Both koi and turtles in there will make lots of food poo for algae to love it in there and grow. All your sun doesn't help either even tho I would love it. Too bad you can't have separate ponds for fish and turtles. Also it seems that 10 koi might be a bit much for your size of pond. W/powerful filter bogs etc. it might work tho. A lot of plants would help also but then koi seem to love to eat or rearrange them. Some short type carpet algae on the sides and bottom of pond are good and you want to keep that growing. Just part of nature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 161316 @Mipada
Nice looking pond and love your dogs and turtles! Burmese are the best! So pretty and always smiling!
Both koi and turtles in there will make lots of food poo for algae to love it in there and grow. All your sun doesn't help either even tho I would love it. Too bad you can't have separate ponds for fish and turtles. Also it seems that 10 koi might be a bit much for your size of pond. W/powerful filter bogs etc. it might work tho. A lot of plants would help also but then koi seem to love to eat or rearrange them. Some short type carpet algae on the sides and bottom of pond are good and you want to keep that growing. Just part of nature.
That is an amazing welcome video.
So, the large koi and large number of Koi and the turtles are overloading the filter and the current bog filter.
I'm working on the Mother of all Bog Filters... well, given the limited space and the fact that I don't want to build another big one outside of the pond... and I already have the 300 gal Stock Tank tub. I just didn't know that I needed to go over the top.
I also put pea gravel in the lower two basins of the water fall. I suspect that some of the water will go through the pea gravel and filter out some of the food the algae lives on. (What do you call, "The food the algae lives on?" Is that Bacteria?)
It seems that I've gotten my answers on my welcome post so, it looks like I don't need to start another post on the "Pond Construction & Equipment' or the "DIY-Do It Yourself" page.
I'll keep reading but, thank you all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Turtles are poop machines and can generate a lot of waste. vacuuming is one way to help remove the waste. Circulation is also key but with turtles it cant be too strong. A bog can certainly do the job if done right, and sized properly but for turtles it would be 50% i would think. I am not a turtle keeper but maybe @Jhn can help out with his view. I do know he does settling chambers i believe he had two containers the same size as the habitat loaded with aquatic plants.
I put my pump in a bucket to keep the fish and turtles from getting sucked into it. When I went to move the pump while I re-did the first bog filter, I noticed all kinds of algae and crud in the bottom of the bucket. The water slowed down enough to let the junk settle. I think I can do that again. I think that is the heart of a settling chamber but, I'll check with him if the bog filter re-do doesn't work. Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is an amazing welcome video.
So, the large koi and large number of Koi and the turtles are overloading the filter and the current bog filter.
I'm working on the Mother of all Bog Filters... well, given the limited space and the fact that I don't want to build another big one outside of the pond... and I already have the 300 gal Stock Tank tub. I just didn't know that I needed to go over the top.
I also put pea gravel in the lower two basins of the water fall. I suspect that some of the water will go through the pea gravel and filter out some of the food the algae lives on. (What do you call, "The food the algae lives on?" Is that Bacteria?)
It seems that I've gotten my answers on my welcome post so, it looks like I don't need to start another post on the "Pond Construction & Equipment' or the "DIY-Do It Yourself" page.
I'll keep reading but, thank you all.
Algae eats nitrogen which is what the turtle's and fish poop out. The more fish and turtles in a too small of a pond w/o enough filtration will make more algae.

Yes go ahead and start your own pond construction page. You will get lots of help and can use that to ask all kinds of questions and let us know on the issues you are having.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
I looked it over and it's very nice. I have a question, though, that you might be able to help with.
If I add a stock tank bog filter island resting on one set of cinder blocks on the bottom of my pond, how could I drain the muck from the bottom? With a 5200 gph pump, is it strong enough to push the muck out of the bottom of the stock tank and up a hose?

Ask a Question