Protecting baby fish

Reaction score
I'm still working on the fix. I'm going to the store to look at the crates or maybe use some plastic lattice to partition part of the pond off for the kids. Stay tuned.

I've isolated one of the fish ( a really pretty all white body with an orange head) . He's in a large tub of pond water floating in the main pond. He seems a little traumatized. So I'm going to let him chill out for a while. I think he may have been born in the filter, so he's never seen other fish. When I put him in the main tank, briefly yesterday, he seemed very freaked out by the larger fish. Like jumping out of the water freaked out. So I gently let him swim back into the large tub and he seems at peace.

Dave we still love our UK visitors. Speedo's and body surfing in January, while the rest of us are bundled up for "winter" ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Proves we are a hardy race :happy:

I feel an old noel Coward song coming on :ROFLMAO::LOL::D:happy:

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun ".

thats us Brits nuts ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
When I found two babies in my floating planter, I then moved them to a fish nursery that I made with utility fabric from a fabric store that I attached to garden stakes that I set across my pond--it was about one-foot wide by three-feet long. It worked great to keep the two little guys safe, and then new babies even found their way in there.

Reaction score
When I found two babies in my floating planter, I then moved them to a fish nursery that I made with utility fabric from a fabric store that I attached to garden stakes that I set across my pond--it was about one-foot wide by three-feet long. It worked great to keep the two little guys safe, and then new babies even found their way in there.
Sounds good, what is utility fabric? Like a solid cotton weave or tulle?

Reaction score
I decided to go with a laundry hamper I got at Target. It's about as high as my pond is deep. It has holes all the way around that are big enough for the babies to pass easily but way too small for the adults to pursue them. I couldn't find any milk crates and this seems to be a better fit anyway.

I set it on the bottom of the pond with the top sticking up above the water line. It is black, so I covered the bottom with light colored rock to weight it down and make it easier for me to see the fish.

I was feeling pretty satisfied with myself and my clever idea until I realized that the fish have no interested in it at all. none. lol

They go out of there way to swim around it. doh! I guess you can't outsmart a fish.

It looks like such a great idea too. Maybe they will get used to it in time.

I even took the one fish that I had separated in that bucket and gently transferred him into the new fancy fish sanctuary and the first thing he did was swim out into the main pond. He didn't even stay in there for 10 seconds. harrumph.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Like kids, whatever you want them to do they don't want to do it! Maybe throw some plants in there that they like to nibble on or some tiny pieces of fish food till they get used to it.

Reaction score
Haha! I'm sure if they need a 'break' from the chasing they will pop in there.

I have lots of baby fish in my pond, I have big plant pots with plants weighted down with rocks only. There's plenty of spots to hide in the pots around and under the rocks from the big guys. Another plus for me is when I put my liner in, the corners kinda creased weird, so the really little babies can hide in these creases and the big guys can't get them. I also have milk crates in the pond, with plant pots in them so my large koi don't tip them over, the little fish can squeeze in there but the big guys can't.

Reaction score
I take back what I said about the babies not like the "sanctuary". They have taken to it quite well. I guess they just needed to get used to it.

It makes a great place to feed them so they don't have to be harassed by the bigger fish. Very happy with the results.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just shut down our skimmer, (I stuff it with bubble wrap) found a 1/4 inch shubunkin baby, pulled it out of the leaf basket and put it back into the big pond. Said gooooooooooooooood luck lil one. The pond is currently 55 degrees.

Ask a Question