Quiet external pumps

Reaction score
DoDad. Please PM me with your best price on a Sequence 1000 4500 to include a 6 in leaf basket and shipping. thanks very much

Reaction score
I love that you're doing all this math on the specs DR&W. This is just very good part...I get it....I get it...it's all very complex. I think, tho, that you are overthinking it just a tad. I think the 750 4200 gph will be enough for your situation. DoDad will be able to guide you for sure, however.

I'll be curious to hear how this one turns out. Am highly interested in your situation as I will be down your path shortly...if I can find someone to help me do some digging, that is!

Reaction score
you know, if I was just looking for bead filter fines filtration the 750-4200 would have been dandy. I thought it over hard. Price point is 53% higher for the 1000 4500. and it uses 90 more watts per hr. But. I also want to create a circular current in the pond. the 750's output would have been nearly nil once it got to the pond.

If you look at it like a clock face the pond is not round but sort of. The skimmer is at 6:30. I have the outflow from this pump coming in at 8 oclock. It's that triple pipe set up I posted; one pipe 12 in above the next. Each pipe I hope to generate some flow so the whole body of water tends to be pushed toward 12. At about 12 will be the waterfall, but it will be angled slightly toward the 2 oclock side. So between the waterfall and the outflow from the sequence I should get a circular flow in much of the pond. at least that's what i hope for.

Oh and also I intend to take measurements too. I bought one of those venturi like flow meters and will check what it says at various points where I can, but definitely before the UV. I definitely don't want to exceed it's capacity.

BTW, what's your soil like out there. Ours is loam and lots of clay. not too bad for digging and held it's shape pretty well too

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your question is at this point. What have you decided in terms of a pump?

And yes, head is calculated AFTER the pump...

Reaction score
actually, no questions at this point--other than about your digging situation, i.e. what kind of soil. i decided on the Sequence 1000 4500 gph.

Reaction score
They say you are supposed to cover and protect an external pump. So, I built a pump "house". I drilled 1 inch holes along the bottom and at the peaks of the sides. I'm going to add holes under both eaves as well for ventilation. I'm going to paint it and then put it next to the filter.

Attachments

• Pond expansion 2010 013.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 013.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 333
  • Pond expansion 2010 014.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 014.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 363
  • Pond expansion 2010 017.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 017.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Pond expansion 2010 018.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 018.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
wow! that's literally a HOUSE! LOL! Looks good! Don't forget to raise the pump or your house on a couple of bricks just in case you get any flooding or a very heavy rain, your pump is raised off ground level.

Reaction score
As for the house, the roof comes off easily to check the pot, if need be. Then in summer when it gets hot, the frame/walls also comes off to allow for better circulation. I am painting it now. Soon as it's painted I'll hook it up.

Reaction score
With the holes you've got in it, you've got plenty for circulation. Mine is in a pit under the ground and I have had no trouble with circulation. All those holes should be fine.

You should paint it like a little koi shack! LOL!

Reaction score
Nearly ready to install the pump and fire it up. i'm going to try and place the AquaArt BD today. Bought some 1# dive weights, plastic coated, and will attach these to the legs. That will hold it down without rocks, but allow it's removal w/o too much hassle.

I've painted the pump house and now will line the inside of the walls, not covering the holes of course, with quilt batting. I don't know how much noise this pump will generate, but I'd prefer very minimal.

I'm excited though. Getting this pump going is a big step.

Reaction score
are you trying to run the BD up and over your pond wall? If so, you'll find it won't work (been there, tried that), as the air gets trapped at the highest level of the hose. I'll be curious what your experience will be.

Ask a Question