Quiet external pumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've done it. You should have a swing check valve on the ppond side of the pump.
Fill your priming bssket with water and then start the pump.
koikeepr said:
are you trying to run the BD up and over your pond wall? If so, you'll find it won't work (been there, tried that), as the air gets trapped at the highest level of the hose. I'll be curious what your experience will be.

Reaction score
I've tried it with the check valve and had zero luck. I couldn't get the pump to pull the water over the hump of the pond wall and just dug down the side of the pond wall to poke a hole through. Pumps like pushing, not pulling.

DR&W should have really built a hole on the side of the liner and put his stones around it at the time he was putting his walls up, IMHO. But perhaps he'll have more suction with the pressure filter....dunno. I had no luck.

Where the heck of you been DoDad?? We've been chanting your name on a few threads to come out and help us problem solve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The check valve should be vertical so the water and pressure close the valve,

Attachments

• val.png
    val.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Cold water!!! yikes. had on waders, but that didn't help my hands and arms. time i finally got done i couldn't feel my arms or hands..;)

done though. it was very hard getting the bottom drain to sit flat on the bottom AND line up the 3 in pipe. But, thanks to the little bit of give in ferncos, it's in. I had to use all 4 of the 1 # dive weights. i'd take a picture, but doubt it's show up.

the BD's pipe comes off the BD at a 60 degree angle--I used ABS pipe. this pipe goes up to the level of the 3 in bulkhead inlet into the skimmer. I drilled the hole and placed this bulkhead last year. It sits about 2 inches below the bottom of the skimmer weir so about 8-10 inches under water. I found a 90 degree fernco coupling in 3 inch and used this to connect to the pipe going into the skimmer. It had enough give to make it work. I have a gate valve so I can shut off the bottom drain in winter.

I'll tell you though. This was enough trouble to hook up that I'm not going to put any filter material in the BD that I have to clean out.

Reaction score
Right, I told you that would be a PITA. But be warned that once every 4-6 weeks be sure to get a net under that BD as you will be amazed at the pile that will build up under there. I just get a hand net, and lift the BD slightly and then just scoop up the pile that has built up under there and you're off and running to the races again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been around but did not see my name anywhere.
koikeepr said:
I've tried it with the check valve and had zero luck. I couldn't get the pump to pull the water over the hump of the pond wall and just dug down the side of the pond wall to poke a hole through. Pumps like pushing, not pulling.

DR&W should have really built a hole on the side of the liner and put his stones around it at the time he was putting his walls up, IMHO. But perhaps he'll have more suction with the pressure filter....dunno. I had no luck.

Where the heck of you been DoDad?? We've been chanting your name on a few threads to come out and help us problem solve.

Reaction score
Turned on the Sequence 1000 4500 today. It is very, very quiet. I am very pleased. The flow just proximal to the UV filter is between 2700 and 3000 gph measured which is fine-- the UV filter is rated up to 3500. the flow out of the 3 pronged output head I placed in the pond was nearly nil on the top, a little in the middle and mostly out the straight line on bottom. I reformated it to two heads and the bottom dominates, but the top puts out some. I tried adding a 1.5 reducer to both heads--this radically increased flow, but seemed to load the pump a bit, i.e. it became louder. I'll try again Tuesday when I have more time, but I'm thinking I'll probably have to use one of those eductors to increase the flow so I have a current as desired. Supposedly the eductors do not increase back pressure, but do increase flow.

Tuesday a professional is going to come by and check out the waterfall site and give me some pointers / advice and a bid. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ask a Question