Rain rain go away

CMR

Reaction score
We took out our pond liner last week (old liner had a leak that we tried to fix and failed). Dug the pond a little bit deeper (not a lot), got rid of the "shelf" going around the edge and made one really shallow, cut off part so water can move there.

Now, ever since I bought the new liner and underay last week (a couple days after digging, the store was closed when we finished digging and then we were busy the few days after) it has been raining. I was hoping the sun would come out and dry things out a bit so we could put the liner in today... but no go.

Can we put the liner in if it's lightly raining? I haven't seen any water sitting in the bottom on the pond hole. It'll just be a wet and muddy job, right? Or should I really wait for a dry sunny day?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There is no reason you can't other than it's going to be slippery under the liner so be careful. Walking the wrinkles out in the rain is a challenge, also your probably end up with mub in the pond, Would be a good idea to leave any muddy water be until you have every thing set up and the capping done, then rinse everything down and completely drain so you start off with clean water when you go to fill. I've put two pond liners in in the rain, not the best way to do it but not going to hurt anything.

CMR

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on slippery-ness. Didn't think of that. We'll see how it looks when I get home, it's been lightly raining off and on at work all day..

I didn't think there would be a reason not to (I mean, the pond is going to be outside, and it's going to rain and I'm sure the underlay will get wet by touching wet soil from rain, right? So it's not like I'm exposing anything too weird to it).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
send the rain here want some for all the new trees and bushes I planted

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Material wise no problem, Smacking your butt when you slip down could be! :frown: LOL
And if your getting more than you need send some this away, I'm afraid my water bill this month is going to match my electricity bill!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Liner is a little easier to work with when it is hot, but you can do it when it is wet, like they say slippery so just be careful

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are in a drought but not as bad as some years and liners wet can be like walking on ice .But putting a liner in when soil is wet sometimes helps you when your trying to get the wrinkles out .I laid my liner out in the sun to warm it up though to make it less rigid and easier to work with .But I did dampen the soil before I put it in .Made it a little easier to move around .I did it by myself so anything to make it easier is better

Ask a Question