reefsr's garden pond build thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I thought it'd be a good time to make a thread for my pond on this forum. I dug a pond late summer last year in the same location but it was embarassing so I redid it this year.

We had a big patch of dirt in the yard that no one knew what to do with, so I decided to make a pond there. I figured it would be a nice wildlife attraction (a bit too good of one -- I'll get to that) and it would fill up the area nicely.

In early spring after the ground was defrosted, I decided to get to work. A lot of digging later and hauling hundreds of pounds of sand bags (I used sand as underlayment. Worked really well honestly) to the backyard, the liner could go in and water could be filled.

So far the stocking consists of two comet goldfish (if I remember correctly, they are comet and not common), 1 shubunkin, and some leopard danios. I don't know how many of those are in there. I have not seen these fish in a while due to the plant coverage!

As for plants, all I have is a yellow flag iris and water hyacinth. I was planning to get more but I never got around to it. I will do it next spring instead.

The digging was atrocious. Wet clay and tons of roots.

Screenshot_20210730-202907_Gallery.jpg

The next few images are the progress of the pond after it was filled.

Screenshot_20210730-201957_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210730-202024_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210730-202050_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210730-202111_Gallery.jpg

And here is the pond today.

Screenshot_20210730-202137_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210730-203515_Gallery.jpg

Overall I'm happy with how the pond is going. I don't think I'll do it this summer, but in the soring of 2022 I want to complete that dirt patch with wildflowers and a bench. I was going to do it this summer, but it's been so humid and rainy around here lately that we can't go outside without mosquito bites (yet no mosquito larvae in the pond!). The deer keep crapping all around the pond and knocking the rocks in the water, along with tons of gravel! They give me a headache.

For a little info about me: I am a senior in highschool now (class of 2022). First time digging a pond but I have years of experience in freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Thanks for having me on the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my suggestion is to get more hyacinth; you know how good they are for filtering a pond... ;) ;) ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very pretty! My only suggestion would be LESS hyacinths actually - you can smother your fish if there's no open surface on the pond. Shoot for 60% coverage and you'll be good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While you have been debating the hyacinths have multiplied 10 times over man they grow fast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty! My only suggestion would be LESS hyacinths actually - you can smother your fish if there's no open surface on the pond. Shoot for 60% coverage and you'll be good.
Good to know. I'll remove some in the middle. There are actually open spaces in between the large ones, but those roots are huge so they might not be able to get up there easily if they need o2 and whatnot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
geez, getting grief from GB for USING smilies and when I DO, SOME peeps are NOT getting the sarcasm (hint @Lisak1 !!) :confused:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
geez, getting grief from GB for USING smilies and when I DO, SOME peeps are NOT getting the sarcasm (hint @Lisak1 !!) :confused:
Maybe you need to do more smilies;););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)….earn you the new title Master of abbreviations and smilies. GB secretly likes smilies, methinks you need extra ones when you reply to him.

Ask a Question