Relined due to leak & now ammonia is spiking & fish look affected by it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
Sorry for not posting updates. I have been getting support from a very experienced breeder/expert (John of Hanover Koi) who is guiding me on how to keep the fish safe despite my source water issues and how to create the best conditions for the pond to cycle. Right now we are treating with salt and waiting to see if they respond well enough to that and, if not, medication will be the next step. On his advice, also switched from Prime to Ultimate to bind the ammonia and condition the water as it does not unbind as frequently as Prime and it seems to irritate my fish far less. Meanwhile, the pond it seems is in the very early phase of beginning to cycle. Nitrites have shown up and I'm hoping desperately that nitrates will follow before it gets too cold. The fish are calmer (less flashing) but still not back to normal (still pinkish), though in the mean time the cooler temps are also surely slowing them down. I feel like I'm in good hands and am planning on posting on how it all went once the fish get through this (I'm hoping they'll get through this). It's been so time consuming, overwhelming and sad that I just can't bring myself to post interim updates. But I will follow up and report back once there is more to tell. Thanks again for all the help so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our wonderful hobby Mattie you have to learn to take the rough with the smooth in our hobby , weve been keeping koi for a grand total of 29 years this year .
They will settle as the water matures it breaks your heart to watch I know but it will come right , I agree with both Mitch mand Meyer on this .
Seeing as your new to the hobby may I suggest you purchase a few book on the Subject .
I've just updated our private reference library with new books that have been read and reviewed by me added today.
May I suggest a few titles for you to buy Amazon is where you can get them for as little as a few UK pounds or US dollars .
The Professionals Book of Koi ISBN 0866225285. Anmarie Barrie.
Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.
The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington.
As you can see I have also supplied the titles , those much important ISBN numbers and Authors names , these books will take you on a journey of discovery settle your mind and put you right on everything from the Nitrate cycle nutrition equipment etc .
Both Meyer and I have written articles which can be found at the top of this page many will cme in useful they are there to be read .
As MitchM said stop everything your doing at the moment ie water changes addition of bacteria addition of pond treatments etc all is good sound advice ....

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the welcome, Dave. The book suggestions are very helpful.
Mattie when you get bitten by the koi bug like Val and I your going to want to know how to treat them .
We are capable of using anesthetics and performing minor operations such as the removal of a section of tail the removal of a stone stuck in a kois mouth plus more .
It is a very good idea you invest in these books they are cheaper now than they have ever been one book I paid £60.00 UKP for twenty years ago now sells for as little as £2.00 UKP, I have even been known to use the US Amazon site as well as the English counter part.
Another piece of kit we and a few of GPF members use is a microscope @bettasngoldfish @Mmathis are just two who now use them to scrape and scope for parasites
Have you prepared your pond and filters for the long winter months ahead i;e removed dead leaves and detritus from the bottom of your pond ?

Dave

Ask a Question