Removing rock/moving fish

Reaction score
Quick questions for all of you..a friend needs to redo her pond :)

1. What is the easiest way to remove rock from the bottom of your pond? Remove fish and then use what?

2. What do/can you use to house your fish in the garage over winter? My friend is no longer wanting to run her pond all year but has no idea what she will put her fish in and she has 40 plus goldfish..

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Amber

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
1) Remove fish, water, then get in and lift them suckers out!
2) Rubbermaid or other LARGE stock tank. You can get them in 300 g and 600 g sizes.
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1) Remove fish, water, then get in and lift them suckers out!
2) Rubbermaid or other LARGE stock tank. You can get them in 300 g and 600 g sizes.
John

Hire a kid that wants to make a little money...............

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
is the rock small or large and how long has it been in the pond ,if there is not a lot of gunk there you may not have to move the fish at all .How big are the fish because when I dismantle a pond I put some in large totes or large garbage cans .I keep the big stock tank for the bigger fish .That way they don't feel over crowded ,but most I have moved are koi and the goldfish I put in the other either garbage can or tote .If I see any with injuries they go in a tote to be treated

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tractor supply has the big stock tanks on sale 100 gallon poly is 69 dollars and then they have a galvanized one 2ft x 2ft by 4 ft. deep for 69 dollars also would be great to have on hand just in case /Anyone think the galvanized one would cause problems with the fish .I was thinking of getting one ,please let me know thank you

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they also have a 200 lb tub for cattle for 47 and it is plastic not sure how big that is

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
If they are small rock I used a small fish net(the kind for getting bait from a live well) and did it one scoop at a time.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you could buy a stocktank or two to store or house your fish in while you clear out the stones but a couple $8.00 'snapset' kiddy pools will work great..theyre made of pvc (fish safe) and are anywhere from 250 - 300 gals when full. and you roll them up and put them back in their boxes when done, so you have them for other emergencies, or fry ponds.etc... altho the stocktank could build you a nice filter when the clean up is done.

Reaction score
She is removing the small rock on the bottom to make cleaning easier..as for her fish she has some really big goldfish.Thanks for all the suggestions.Amber

Reaction score
I wonder if a shop vac would suck up the gravel. If it worked it would get pretty heavy when full. Then what do you do with the rocks?
I think I might remove my rocks next year :rolleyes:

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I wonder if a shop vac would suck up the gravel. If it worked it would get pretty heavy when full. Then what do you do with the rocks?
I think I might remove my rocks next year :rolleyes:
The shop vac would suck to much water to be efficient at picking up the rock. I know this. lol. If theres no water in the pond then its a great idea. I am storing my small rock in my cracked stock tank.

Attachments

• P6240027 (Custom).JPG
    P6240027 (Custom).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 298

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a pool net to get rocks that fall into my pond ,not sure how big or how many rocks you have but you may end up doing it by hand safer for your liner and not so bad to do if you do it with a friend .My neighbors pond had to have the rocks removed and we did it together and had fun ,even her grandchildren had a great time helping .

Ask a Question