morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well water in our Province is subject to Ministry of the Environment reviews whereby it must pass human consumption parameters or be deemed non-potable.

As far as I'm concerned, if I can drink it, the fish can swim in it.

Don't pee in the pond, especially if you're wearing chest waders.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I do water change for my pond only once or twice a year, only to reduce the Nitrate number. I have high Nitrate level at the end of summer (still no algae) probably due to lack of plants to help absorb the Nitrate.

Reaction score
Not even sure what to say here. I think when I started the pond, someone told me to do the water changes regularly, and I do (which is a right pain in the butt!). I think its Dave54 that does weekly water changes and I was kinda just following him.

Based on all the info above, I have ceased water changes and will happily just roll with a top up when one is needed.

Yes, I did all those things, cleaned filters, changed the water a 100 times. Perhaps that all added to the green water. Other than when I started the pond, I have not had these problems since. I normally enjoy a steady pond, no fish problems, water parameters at normal levels. My UV blowed and boom I got greenish water (can't see the bottom of my pond).

I'll just wait this out. My replacement bulb for the pressure filter comes in about 2 weeks. If it doesn't clear up before, it will clear up then.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well water in our Province is subject to Ministry of the Environment reviews whereby it must pass human consumption parameters or be deemed non-potable.

The same levels of pollutants, such as heavy metals, deemed safe for humans are deadly for fish and other aquatic life. Vast difference in body mass and physiology. Don't practice human medicine on fish or vice versa.

Had a client that had 3 separate ponds. They called me very concerned that all of their fish were dying. The basic water quality tests reveled no problem, in fact, the parameters were ideal. After further discussion with the client I learned that he was using well water instead of municipal water, not only in the ponds but also for general household use. I recommended that they submit a sample of the well water to a professional testing facility to check for hydrocabons, VOCs, pesticides, heavy metals, etc. They reluctantly did so. When the results came in, it almost jumped off the page that Copper levels well exceeded the LC50 levels for ANY fish. The clients comment was that they had been drinking the well water for years and it had not bothered them. Little did they realize that although there were no acute symptoms, they were slowly poisoning themselves. Needless to say they switched back to municipal water and have not had a problem since.

Well water should be THOROUGHLY tested.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Other than when I started the pond, I have not had these problems since. I normally enjoy a steady pond, no fish problems, water parameters at normal levels. My UV blowed and boom I got greenish water (can't see the bottom of my pond).

You have had a problem for a while. The UV just hid the visual signs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

OH DEAR .FLOOD ON AISLE 2 the pee part

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I though it only to be common sense, Sissy.

Of course, if the water is very cold and you don't have insulated neoprenes........

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I don't like swimming pools, can't stand chlorine. But then again, if I was wearing my waders you wouldn't have anything to worry about, now would you?

Ever wonder why so many people are in and out of the water so often on the beach?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Depends on how bad you have to go .It could overflow and there are salt water pools .Think about everything in the ocean pees and poops in the water .That is why I never buy bottled water .Where do you think they got some of the bottled water names from bear pee and deer pee :)

OzarksGuy

Pond in Use
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
3 weeks! This is bad news! I will have my regular UV bulb in 3 weeks, which means I wasted my $$ on this smaller one.

Sorry for the whinge, just feeling quite sorry for myself and my green water.
Priscilla, I've read that when the water is very dark green, the UV light can't get through and will kill algae only very near the bulb. When the algae die, they clump together and are easier for your filter to collect. As water starts to clear a bit, the light will kill algae farther and farther away, so in the end, the water clears rapidly. Thus, it's best to use UV early on when the water is still quite clear. At that point, the smaller bulb will do fine and save some electric, so not so much a waste of $$.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Like I said,......patience.

C'mon....rainwater is bad, the well water is toxic.

Doesn't leave much, does it?

Evian or Fiji anyone?

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
C'mon, Sissy.

I'm gonna send you a sense of humor for Christmas.

Reaction score
You have had a problem for a while. The UV just hid the visual signs.

If my water was testing at normal levels. What's up with the green water now? What is causing it? I tested the phosphates, not too bad. Tested the Nitrates, not too bad. Can't remember the exact readings now, but I posted them on the other thread and I THINK we agreed it was okay.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If my water was testing at normal levels. What's up with the green water now? What is causing it? I tested the phosphates, not too bad. Tested the Nitrates, not too bad. Can't remember the exact readings now, but I posted them on the other thread and I THINK we agreed it was okay.

Yes, and the Phosphorus level seemed OK, but as I pointed out earlier a Nitrate level of 20 along with green water indicates that the Nitrate level is too high for even all of your plants AND the planktonic algae to absorb. Killing off the algae through the use of UV will only then reveal the true Nitrate level which is likely at least double what you are showing now.
You have enough Nitrate in your pond to support the current algae bloom and still have a considerable amount still present.

Ask a Question