SUCESS!! NEW POND CONTAINER!! Let me know!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check the farmers part of craigslist, we got a 1000 gallon and a 300 gallon stock tank for 200.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Alice. I know you are looking for an above ground container, but have you thought about what you are going to do in the winter? It's going to get very cold and your fish may freeze without a heater. When I first started I bought a whole kit with a flexible liner, biofilter, and pump for under $200 and it served me well for a few years before "I" outgrew it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
CometKeith brings a good point about the winter and the pond fish. When my fish were in the smaller prefab pond I had to bring them indoors over the winter. I actually kinda liked having them in the house but since we dont live in a huge house it did get to be a bit much having them in the house from October to May (they were indoors longer than out)

The stock tank I have set up now I leave all year with some rosy reds and a few baby goldfish. For winter weather I have a stock tank heater and I also put straw bales around the outside of the tank to help insulate it and then put a cover over the top with just a small opening for light (also leave a couple airstones running) At some point I would like to make a clear cover for it so they get more light (and so I can see them without taking the lid off)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We are going to bring them indoors for winter. My mom and I were at home depot and we saw an outdoor fire pit so we may build one like that, would that be suitable

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Even if we mortar the bricks together? My boyfriend and my bro use to do mansonary.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I still don't think so, but I'm not a mason.
Fire pits use solid bricks. There's no way that the mortar can lock them together.
I'll leave that decision to your boyfriend and bro.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have an above ground pond, but have read threads on another forum about building them. They recommend cement blocks, with rebar in them and poured concrete. They use extra rebar at corners...it is both horizontal and vertical. This is then covered with a liner. Otherwise the water pressure will cause the walls to fall down. Maybe you could look into something like that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The problem with building a cinderblock container with rebar and concrete on ground level is that the ground frost heaving will crack it.
Typically cinderblock walls are built on a footing that is below the frostline. Here in Alberta the frostline is 4 feet deep.
Maybe in Ontario (where Alice is) it's only 3 feet. Still, that's a lot of work.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used retaining wall block with the lip on the inside part .You could also use landscape timbers or 4x4's and drill and put them together like colleen did .

Ask a Question