Turned on the pump...

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
We're in a very warm climate in the Pacific Northwest, but even still, we didn't start to get warmer weather this year until the last few weeks. So finally turned on the pump and waterfall. I did lose a couple of gold fish, likely to the local cats and raccoons. I saw some fish scales over the winter on the stone ledge, darn animals must have used it like a dining table!

971188_10151933770626408_1286865967_n.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You're not far from me Mike. I just left everything running this winter, waterfall, filter and bubbling water pipe w a small air stone running also. So far I have lost 4 teensy goldfish. Think they were just not strong enough to make it through the cold. All the rest about 40 or so bigger ones look good so far. Gee is that rain drops I see falling on your lovely pond? Why wouldn't it be ;)

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Wow, some elevation you have here! Does the water pour over that ledge where you walk up? Nice looking Pond!

Ya, it pours over into a lower pond and the skimmer and return pump. My avatar is the view from the waterfall side...

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
You're not far from me Mike. I just left everything running this winter, waterfall, filter and bubbling water pipe w a small air stone running also. So far I have lost 4 teensy goldfish. Think they were just not strong enough to make it through the cold. All the rest about 40 or so bigger ones look good so far. Gee is that rain drops I see falling on your lovely pond? Why wouldn't it be ;)

Its my first winter with a pond, I built it last summer... I was debating keeping it running, but with the high waterfall, I wasn't sure it it would "over cool" the water. It froze over a few days this winter and it's been the harsher one in years. And ya... rain rain rain, seems like that's all we get for 5 months a year!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep w/ that high falls that might just be too cold for the fish. It's cold at night again,feels like we are just heading into winter all over again. We had heavy frost this morning.
Might get some sun tomorrow :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful, glad you got it running and all is good.

Ask a Question