Water So Bad Can Not See Fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Almost over night some thing happened to water. After work I checked on fishes, at first I though they where all gone. I got a flashlight and did find 2 that have white markings. I placed a fence panel over top of pond in case it was a predator. Panel was not moved during the night, if fish died would their bodies float ? Can a handful of a rotted plant turn 300 gallons murky ? I ordered a hornwort from ebay when I opened package it smelled really bad, not knowing what hornwort smelled like I put it in pond. I do not have a filter, but one is coming. Should I wait till filter comes empty pond, hope fish still alive and start over?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More info...... Was the water green, brown.....? How many fish and how big is the pond? [OK, just saw 300 gal] Have you had recent rains and could there have been runoff from your yard?

With no filtration and rotting plant material, plus fish waste, it could be an algae bloom which is a normal. Do you have a water test kit? Please test your water and tell us the results? If water tests are good (tell us the actual results), you could do a partial water change. I would not feed fish for now. Continue to check water quality.

Yes, dead fish will float at some point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank You will test water at lunch time. Have not been feeding thought to cold, do have duck weed if fish hungry. I just added fish the other day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good news is I got email filter mailed out today. Would a UV light clear water ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi I just ran my water test. First I got a coffee cup of pond water, I was very surprised how clear water looked in cup. Then I used water to run tests PH 6.6, Ammonia between 0 -.25 I think color was more 0, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm. The only fish I can really see is the white feeder, I am wondering if it is not water but fish colors against black pond. Would a light color gravel in pond help ? PS not sure if matters outside temperature is 90, don't know water temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used API Freshwater master test, do I need to use soap cleaning test tubes after use. I just rinsed in running tap water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thoroughly rinse the tubes with the water to be tested. This will eliminate any possibility of external corruption of the test results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I ordered a hornwort from ebay when I opened package it smelled really bad, not knowing what hornwort smelled like I put it in pond.
I would have been really leery of putting hornwort that "Smelled really bad", a few dead snails hidden in the plant can really throw a small ponds water quality for a loop. Your pH is lower than expected too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Should I try and make PH higher or leave for now ( city water). I am adding filter tonight is there anything I should keep a eye out for ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Without a filter, the water will turn green quickly as the fish produce ammonia. It's hard to blame a plant. Keep changing water till you add a filter. Keep doing water changes after you add the filter for at least 4 weeks, I would change 25% per 5 days since you are understocked. Adding plants certainly helps. I would skip the duckweed and go for water hyacinths while you think of a way to include yellow flag irises in the game.

Ask a Question