Waterfall Leak

Reaction score
I have a fairly large koi pond with two waterfalls. I have discovered that both leak between the biofall waterfall lip and the rock spillway. In both cases the spillway rock is a uniform one inch thick flagstone mounted on top of the waterfall lip and sealed with foam (Great Stuff). The rock appears to be sealed around it’s entire perimeter which will make it very difficult to move. What I would like to do is seal the area between the waterfall lip and rock with silicone. Will this work? What are the pros and cons versus using foam. Thanks, Ellis Smith

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I looked back at your older post and what a beautiful pond. The foam is not waterproof, that is more for directing water where you want it to go. You may be better off using a product like PL roofing cement or flex seal.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you use the pl roofing cement make sure the rock is real dry, it does not like to stick if it is wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have just begun experimenting with a water based rubber that comes in 5 gallon pails that retails for abut$175. Thirty five years ago I built a rock pond out of stone and cement. I sealed it with a xylene based rubber sealant, that can no longer be used for ecological reasons. At any rate I have never found anything better, as 35 years have passed and it still holds water. This sounds what you need for your leak. There is also a spray rubber, which also should work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You do have a beautiful pond! Sorry I can't help with your leak as we have luckily avoided leaks thus far. But I did want to say good luck! Lots of ponders here who have experience with that issue and can offer suggestions.

Reaction score
I looked back at your older post and what a beautiful pond. The foam is not waterproof, that is more for directing water where you want it to go. You may be better off using a product like PL roofing cement or flex seal.
Thanks, will go to Lowes to decide which will be best for my situation.
I have a fairly large koi pond with two waterfalls. I have discovered that both leak between the biofall waterfall lip and the rock spillway. In both cases the spillway rock is a uniform one inch thick flagstone mounted on top of the waterfall lip and sealed with foam (Great Stuff). The rock appears to be sealed around it’s entire perimeter which will make it very difficult to move. What I would like to do is seal the area between the waterfall lip and rock with silicone. Will this work? What are the pros and cons versus using foam. Thanks, Ellis Smith

Reaction score
I have just begun experimenting with a water based rubber that comes in 5 gallon pails that retails for abut$175. Thirty five years ago I built a rock pond out of stone and cement. I sealed it with a xylene based rubber sealant, that can no longer be used for ecological reasons. At any rate I have never found anything better, as 35 years have passed and it still holds water. This sounds what you need for your leak. There is also a spray rubber, which also should work.
Thanks, we'll be in real trouble is they ban duct tape and WD-40.

Ask a Question